Head removal help

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
So ive got a 2jz im putting together and the cam cap threads in the head stripped so I fixed all of them but they stripped again. Now I go to remove the head and it will not budge.I even flipped engine upside with the corner nuts on and a few threads up and proceeded to beat on it till my mallet got destroyed while the head sat there laughing at me. I do have arp studs in and the engine never was started.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
First step throw your torque wrench away that you used on cam caps.

Buy a high quality torque wrench. Matco sells a great torque 3/8" drive that goes from 5-75 ft lbs. Great for most engine work. Then get a 1/2" drive torque wrench to go to 250 ft lbs.
This way you do not have to get a 1/4" torque wrench. Make sure you understand how they work. If I am pulling harder than the applied torque is calling for I would stop before pulling out threads

You would have been better off using a short 1/4" hand ratchet. On your best day maybe 15lft lbs of torque.

Are you sure you don't have one nut left on. Have you removed studs before lifting head?

Not trying to be an "A" hole. I feel some basics have been over looked.

Good luck.

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
I don't think it was that much over torqued because i could use my pinky to loosen them. And after i got them fixed i planned on buying another torque wrench. I checked and checked and rechecked. all of the nuts are off except for the ones i put back in. And i spoke to three shops and they said you don't have to pull the studs out for the head to come off.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Did you forget to use washers with the arp studs? If so then the aluminum head is mushroomed around the studs and you'll need to drill them out

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
yea this is real late i know. but i had my old shop teacher who is basically a genius when it comes to cars to help me and we pryed the living shit out of it till it came off. There was no real cause on why it was so difficult to remove.