Head Gasket?

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
So I plan on taking the head off of my 87 7mgte and replacing the head gasket. I ONLY plan on machining the head and leaving the block the way it is. My original plan was to run a metal head gasket but I've read many threads stating that a MHG would only work when both the head and block are machined.

In the future I plan on installing:
DM Intercooler
Boost controller
CAI
Aftermarket Radiator

The reason for me not removing the block is because I have little experience with this engine and I doubt I would be able to remove it myself.

So the big question is, what type of HG do you guys recommend for the job?

Thanks!

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
If you're not machining both the block and head, use an OEM Toyota Headgasket, and torque it to 75 ft-lbs using ARP Head Studs/Nuts or ARP Head Bolts

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
emiliorescigno;1973621 said:
If you're not machining both the block and head, use an OEM Toyota Headgasket, and torque it to 75 ft-lbs using ARP Head Studs/Nuts or ARP Head Bolts

Thank you sir! Could I still do the same if I machine the head?

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
Will an OEM gasket have the proper thickness if I machine my head? I've read the thread showing all those numbers and how it would be a good idea to get a gasket that would match the OEM specs once part or the head is machined.

The thickness is fine. You should torque the ARP head studs to 85lb ft not 75. ARP says that you should torque it to 85lb. I torqued mines to 95lbs because I had a adapter on it so I torqued a little higher to make up for the difference that is lost to that connection.

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
HMNGSupraMKIII;1973761 said:
The thickness is fine. You should torque the ARP head studs to 85lb ft not 75. ARP says that you should torque it to 85lb. I torqued mines to 95lbs because I had a adapter on it so I torqued a little higher to make up for the difference that is lost to that connection.

Gotcha! Thanks for all the help guys. Can't wait to get that head off and revive this beast. :evil2:

faviles

SupraNoob
Oct 13, 2013
New Jersey
Already tried two sites but nothing. Will they have it if I go to an actual dealer located a couple of minutes away from me?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
faviles;1973868 said:
Already tried two sites but nothing. Will they have it if I go to an actual dealer located a couple of minutes away from me?

Doubt they have it in stock, but they will order it in for you. You could try calling them. Kansas City warehouse has one, Part#11115-42021 I think. Or just go with DM, it says its the actual Toyota part.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
HMNGSupraMKIII;1973761 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I looked at the Arp head studs part number for the 7m and and crossed referenced on their online manual guide It says 90 ft lbs.

I do remember supracentral saying torque the studs according to the manual

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
you just have to make a choice of what you want to do. Spend a little extra on known, and proven gaskets, and probably not have to worry about it later, or take a chance, get the cheap ones, and possibly spend a bunch of time fixing leaks and troubleshooting when the car is back together and everything is in the way. I don't have any experience with this specific kit, and I'm not saying it wouldnt work fine, just stating the obvious. Then again theres that whole other issue of no matter what gaskets you use there is other important things such as the proper fasteners, torque specs, and using FIPG on assembly exactly where the TSRM tells you to.