head bolts

suprakid3

Feb 15, 2008
michigan
can i just torque the head bolts that are in it to the new spec to protect the head gasket or do i have to get new head bolts?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^thats a good write up.

if you re-torque the stock head bolts on stock hg break each one loose and re-torque to 75lbs one at a time in the torque sequence.

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
suprakid3;1278538 said:
it isnt leaking its just a precaution so it dont blow on me

A blown headgasket can sneek up on u. u should check the radiator for carbon monoxide or drive till u lose coolant frequently or bust your hoses then when it gets bad u can only drive for like 30 to 45min.

Dont ask how i know took me a year to fix
picture.php

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
7mgte1988;1278641 said:
A blown headgasket can sneek up on u. u should check the radiator for carbon monoxide or drive till u lose coolant frequently or bust your hoses then when it gets bad u can only drive for like 30 to 45min.

Dont ask how i know took me a year to fix

Man, no engine is the same. The op allready said its not blown, let it be.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Yes re-torque. See this thread. I had the same questions. Its a crap shoot but so far so good for me.

I believe the answer to your second question is No! There is a thread somewhere about someone wanting to replace just the head bolts and the consensus was that it would cause the head gasket to fail for sure.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprakid3;1278538 said:
it isnt leaking its just a precaution so it dont blow on me

come again?

Why would it blow?

Headgaskets don't blow because the magical gnomes living inside your engine sprinkle pixie dust and boom, insta-bhg. :icon_evil

for the rest of you folks, you better come in here with better information than

7mgte1988 said:
A blown headgasket can sneek up on u....

because unfortunatly it can not. Now you start dicking with the motor and THEN it can and not really as cranking the "boost" up will result in the likely probability of detonation. Do one of the genius mods like EGR removal and you are GUARANTEED a BHG if using the OEM one.

Again, magic does not exist in the universe. blow headgasket are like everything else, CAUSE/EFFECT relation.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
dumbo;1278003 said:
There is this, but I didn't write it of course, and of course am not responsible for your engine.

http://cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTips/head_retorque.aspx

That article is missing one very critical piece of information... it is absalutely critical to follow the TSRM's headbolt torque order. There's a diagram in there for a reason:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=39

I think replacing the stock bolts with ARP studs is a much better solution than retorqing stock bolts. The process is similair, but you remove bolt #1, replace it with an ARP stud (lubricated and prepped properly), torque that stud to 65ft/lbs or so, and then do bolt 2, 3, ect. Then in the proper sequence of order, finish the torque to ARP spec. As long as the engine is stone cold (sat for atleast 2 days), there's no reason that the gasket should seperate if done carefully.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, you can't do that as the holes need to be properly cleaned.

Only half of the hole is used by the stock bolts, the entire hole MUST be used on studs for them to function properly.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
figgie;1279312 said:
Again, magic does not exist in the universe. blow headgasket are like everything else, CAUSE/EFFECT relation.

and one of the causes can be shitty torque specs from the factory and general beating your stock/mildly modded engine

you should probably come with some better information next time :nono:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tErbo b00st;1279461 said:
and one of the causes can be shitty torque specs from the factory and general beating your stock/mildly modded engine

you should probably come with some better information next time :nono:

OOoooohhhhhhhh.....

lookkkkyyyyy what we have-y here... Ohhh shit, we are gonna work hard today!!

Now on to you.

Seeing as your are new here. Time for this post to be an education lesson and what facts are and what bullshit that was propagated by the internet is.

That rhetoric you posted, is nothing more that bullshit propagated by the internet.

Bolt stretching has nothing to do with BHG as that is caused by.... get ready for this

DETONATION.

That is right, the bolt's torque value has a correlation with BHG as the sun coming up each morning has a correlation with the GDP of the United States. incase you don't get it. There is no correlation.

56 lbs/ft is plenty for the OEM value. Start dicking around with the engine and the issue is not the torque value (as it never was), it is with such brilliant owners such as yourself thinking that removing the EGR system is a "good" idea for performance when the EGR system has no inherit detractions in overall performance

Read my signature, learn from it, next time, try to bring a bigger gun to the party.

Welcome to Supramania.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
figgie;1279489 said:
Bolt stretching has nothing to do with BHG as that is caused by.... get ready for this

DETONATION.

That is right, the bolt's torque value has a correlation with BHG as the sun coming up each morning has a correlation with the GDP of the United States. incase you don't get it. There is no correlation.

56 lbs/ft is plenty for the OEM value. Start dicking around with the engine and the issue is not the torque value (as it never was), it is with such brilliant owners such as yourself thinking that removing the EGR system is a "good" idea for performance when the EGR system has no inherit detractions in overall performance

just because I don't post on here regulary does not mean that I am new to internal combustion engines you fuck

Yes, detonation can cause a bhg. So can too much boost coupled with too high compression ratio.

Improperly torqued studs can also cause this situation. Whether it is not following the torqueing sequence or too low of torque, this can cause and WILL cause a bhg.

Shitty studs can cause this too...which directly corrolates to stud stretching. Get better studs, get less stretch, get more head gasket life.

Just because your tunes are shit and you experience detonation, doesn't mean that's the only thing that can cause a bhg

k thx bi

fyi, if your greatest claim to faim is dispelling the egr myth...you need to learn more

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tErbo b00st;1279503 said:
just because I don't post on here regulary does not mean that I am new to internal combustion engines you fuck

You could have fooled me with the nonesense you posted, twice now.

tErbo b00st;1279503 said:
Yes, detonation can cause a bhg. So can too much boost coupled with too high compression ratio.

Improperly torqued studs can also cause this situation. Whether it is not following the torqueing sequence or too low of torque, this can cause and WILL cause a bhg.

Shitty studs can cause this too...which directly corrolates to stud stretching. Get better studs, get less stretch, get more head gasket life.

Just because your tunes are shit and you experience detonation, doesn't mean that's the only thing that can cause a bhg

k thx bi

fyi, if your greatest claim to faim is dispelling the egr myth...you need to learn more

the ignorance is strong with you, younglin. So is the lack of English fundamentals!

I honestly don't care if you are Dr. Robert Bosch himself. If you come in here spouting bullshit like you are currently doing. Be prepared to get curbed stomp by yours truely.

I do not take kindly to arrogance but one pet peeve of mine is, blantant ignorance as you are showing. Throw in a dash of mis-spelling FAME for faim... and you have a very long climb up a very slippery slope.

On to your improperly torqued bolts crap.

If you assumption is in fact correct. Then EVERY SINGLE ENGINE (yes not even specific to toyota but every single engine) that is not torquing the bolts to thier yield rating WILL suffer BHG. Of course we know better as even with the stock values, 7m's (both N/A and Turbo) with OEM HG have lasted 225k miles without EVER being opened. That means, the head never ever coming off for anything to include the crap which you believe is tied to the torque yield that Toyota did use and that is, blown head gasket. So that alone makes your assertation, simply put. Complete CRAP!

As for my claim to "faim", I have more than EGR under my belt. I usually start with correct useage of the english language. Then, proper sentence structure. Throw in some physics, blend together and TADA....

you have me.

Welcome to Internal engine design 101.

Class dismissed.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
figgie;1279489 said:
OOoooohhhhhhhh.....

lookkkkyyyyy what we have-y here... Ohhh shit, we are gonna work hard today!!

Now on to you.

Seeing as your are new here. Time for this post to be an education lesson and what facts are and what bullshit that was propagated by the internet is.

That rhetoric you posted, is nothing more that bullshit propagated by the internet.

DETONATION.

Read my signature, learn from it, next time, try to bring a bigger gun to the party.

Welcome to Supramania.

figgie;1279517 said:
You could have fooled me with the nonesense you posted, twice now.

the ignorance is strong with you, younglin. So is the lack of English fundamentals!

I honestly don't care if you are Dr. Robert Bosch himself. If you come in here spouting bullshit like you are currently doing. Be prepared to get curbed stomp by yours truely.

I do not take kindly to arrogance but one pet peeve of mine is, blantant ignorance as you are showing. Throw in a dash of mis-spelling FAME for faim... and you have a very long climb up a very slippery slope.

On to your improperly torqued bolts crap.

If you assumption is in fact correct. Then EVERY SINGLE ENGINE (yes not even specific to toyota but every single engine) that is not torquing the bolts to thier yield rating WILL suffer BHG. Of course we know better as even with the stock values, 7m's (both N/A and Turbo) with OEM HG have lasted 225k miles without EVER being opened. That means the head never ever coming off for anything to include the crap which you believe is tied to the torque yield that Toyota did use and that is, blown head gasket. So that alone makes your assertation, plain and complete CRAP.

As for my claim to "faim", I have more than EGR under my belt. I usually start with correct useage of the english language. Then, proper sentence structure. Throw in some physics, blend together and TADA....

you have me.

Well thank you for backing up your knowledge of engines by nitpicking my english (which really isn't too bad).

I'm an engineer, not an english major

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tErbo b00st;1279528 said:
Well thank you for backing up your knowledge of engines by nitpicking my english (which really isn't too bad).

I'm an engineer, not an english major

If you are infact an Engineer, then English was one of the requirements for your curriculum as you need to convey your engineering diagrams/designs, in ENGLISH, to the project sponsors, be it internal or external. All those physics calculation mean nothing to management, they want to know if it will fail/standup to x hours at y stress, what the FEA says etc, and you will not be doing that in Engineering terms.

But since you did bring it up, what field of Engineering?

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
just because there is a problem does not mean that EVERY single engine will have that same problem. Varying manufacturing tolerances, driving style, engine mainteance, and modifcations will change the outcome. As we all know, just because a recall is issued on a car, does not mean ALL of the cars will encounter this problem. Only many of them. I can't believe you are willing to make the assumption that because some cars have, that means all cars will.

HG bolts are not suppose to be torqued to their yeild. If you knew anything about material properties and fatigue crack propogation, in tandem with cycling cylinder pressures, you would know this. If you tighten something to it's yield torque that means as soon as any pressure is exerted on it, it will experience plastic deformation. This is bad if you weren't sure. Deformation coupled with cyclic fatigue is also bad.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
figgie;1279531 said:
If you are infact an Engineer, then English was one of the requirements for your curriculum as you need to convey your engineering diagrams/designs, in ENGLISH, to the project sponsors, be it internal or external. All those physics calculation mean nothing to management, they want to know if it will fail/standup to x hours at y stress, what the FEA says etc, and you will not be doing that in Engineering terms.

But since you did bring it up, what field of Engineering?

I agree with you. However, the requirement for many schools is VERY few English classes. I took one (as I had prerequisites to not have to take more)

Mechanical engineering from the University of Iowa

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tErbo b00st;1279536 said:
just because there is a problem does not mean that EVERY single engine will have that same problem. Varying manufacturing tolerances, driving style, engine mainteance, and modifcations will change the outcome. As we all know, just because a recall is issued on a car, does not mean ALL of the cars will encounter this problem. Only many of them. I can't believe you are willing to make the assumption that because some cars have, that means all cars will.

According to you there is. ;) Since their will be a standard deviation on everything to include the torque specs, the failure rates should be even higher with your "hypothesis". Facts are, that the 56 lb/ft is more than enough to make the HG survive 225k miles and that was beating the crap out of that motor. I should know as I am the owner of that engine.

That was through the mountain climbs of Georgia (Atlanta to Chattanooga 5 miles worth), Miami heat and humidity, South Dakota snow dumps and Minnesota freezer temps. Never once, a HG issue. Even with the A/C cranking.

The other thing that helped, I also was one of those few owners that did not do the "EGR removal" mod.

Again, Toyota is not as ignorant as the internet portrays them.

tErbo b00st;1279536 said:
HG bolts are not suppose to be torqued to their yeild. If you knew anything about material properties and fatigue crack propogation, in tandem with cycling cylinder pressures, you would know this. If you tighten something to it's yield torque that means as soon as any pressure is exerted on it, it will experience plastic deformation. This is bad if you weren't sure. Deformation coupled with cyclic fatigue is also bad.

I do!

HG studs are in fact torqued to yield. They have to be. As that is where their preload will be maximized, leveraging the studs tensile strength without failure. You can not Torque to yield bolts as you have the rotating force interfering with a proper torque reading.

and just to make sure we are all on the same page.

I am talking about OEM HG on an OEM setup (440cc/min injectors, CT26, perhaps a minor increase in boost etc)! Not OEM HG on a CT26 blowing 12 psi of hotair on 550cc/min injectors etc.

Last edited: