Having an Electrical Issue

tschulz

May 29, 2012
Utah
Drove to the hospital the other day to find out the sex of the baby that we are having, and since the car has absolutely no power at all. If I turn the key on I get no response at all, dome doesnt work, nothing to the radio, not even a ding because the door is open.
I tried to jump it, same issue. I replaced the Fusible link today but same thing. I went through the standard fuses, under the hood and under the dash, but cant find one that is popped.
At this point I'm at wits end. The car is an '87 7mge, not sure if you need anymore information, but any response would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Yea check the battery cables and terminals.

Just keep the door open on the car. And wiggle the wires and terminals or even tap the terminals with a hammer. If the door starts beeping you found your problem.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check the little blue or white wire on the positive terminal. They can sometimes look connected but really not. It's also the main power wire for the entire car.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Check the wiring harness where it goes behind the engine. It can sometimes come loose and land on the egr cooler, causing a short. Happened to me on the freeway years ago, the plastic clip just broke off.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Be sure to check not only the battery side of the terminals but also the terminals on your wires too. Seen it too many times where someone's cleaned up the battery nicely but their wires are still all gunked up with corrosion.

tschulz

May 29, 2012
Utah
Found that I'm not getting power at the fuse link in the relay/fuse box under the hood. I am getting power at the starter but I had some questions about that. I for sure am getting power to the starter, but I cant find the power out of it.(although part of that could be that I am having a hard time getting to the starter since I dont have a jack yet.) I also am concerned about the wires that I see coming out of it. Any feed back would be good.
IMG_0160.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 10