Have a psteering leak

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
So I've been trying to locate this leak in my power steering system. It's not very big of a leak. If I top up the reservoir it will be down in a day or 2.

I am wondering if the steering rack boots seal in the power steering fluid. If the clamp on the boots is messed up will that be the source of my leak? I have some other power steering lines I could go grab off a parts car. I was about to go get them but I had to ask about the boots first.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Clean up the engine bay and then take it for a drive. Should make it much easier to find where the leak is coming from.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Is there supposed to be ps fluid inside the boot?

Googled some stuff about ps racks.... Is there a seal I can replace? I replaced the inner tie rod on the other side of the rack. I might just have to go grab a parts rack off the parts car. But dam that is a lot of work and I just got my alignment correct.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
planemos;1842386 said:
Is there supposed to be ps fluid inside the boot?

Googled some stuff about ps racks.... Is there a seal I can replace? I replaced the inner tie rod on the other side of the rack. I might just have to go grab a parts rack off the parts car. But dam that is a lot of work and I just got my alignment correct.

Yes, it is called rebuilding your rack. Look and see if it is one of the lines tho before you go out any buy a new rack. I thought my rack was bad, but it was just my high pressure line.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
may also be the high pressure line blowing fluid on the seal, my high pressure line did the same thing. Check that as well

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
The pressure line looks wet to me. And I have a cheap source from a friend. I picked it up already just gonna throw it in and park on some cardboard to see if there is still drips.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
planemos;1842784 said:
The pressure line looks wet to me. And I have a cheap source from a friend. I picked it up already just gonna throw it in and park on some cardboard to see if there is still drips.

I bet if you throw it on it will leak pretty bad.
Good luck, make sure you replace the crush washers, and tighten the hell out of the bolts, as I put mine on pretty tight, but still leaked. I had to go back and tighten the hell out of the bolts, as they did not crush the crush washers well.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Well I replaced the pressure line. Did it up good and tight. Filled it up with psfluid. Went for a drive. Came back and parked on some plywood. Returned after 1/2 hour and no drips on the plywood whatsoever. I finally solved all my leaks on my car it's wicked.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
planemos;1842971 said:
Well I replaced the pressure line. Did it up good and tight. Filled it up with psfluid. Went for a drive. Came back and parked on some plywood. Returned after 1/2 hour and no drips on the plywood whatsoever. I finally solved all my leaks on my car it's wicked.

It feels amazing I know. You are lucky it was just your pressure line.
Did you end up using a factory replacement, or did you go with a driftmotion line?
If you went with factory how hard was it to snake through where the subframe and motor are at? I went with the DM line, because I know it would have been a bitch to do.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Thanks. Ya it actaully is very suprising that my rack seals are still good, considering I was in a accident that pulled my entire hub/wheel off and bent the other tie rod end. I just got a ps line off of a n/a 7M car. It sure is a bich to weasel it in there. But all I had to do was take off my turbo heat shield and undo the 2 "double u" shaped supports on the hardline part. When you undo those supports it undoes the other line that runs right beside it so it makes it a bit easier to push it out of the way. The line will fit through the tightest spot (between subframe and steering rack), but the actual end fittings (which use the crush washers) are the hardest part to squeeze past the rack.