Has anyone used Royal Purble Syncromax in their tranny?

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
It's time for me to do a transmission fliud change. I'm thinking of using Royal Purple Syncromax from Pep Boys. Is anyone else using this stuff in their transmission?

I was also thinking of adding GM differential additive, is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

LamaRossa.

PS: My transmission has 234k miles on it.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
good lord. When i first joined this site, I thought all the crap these guys gave you was unwarranted.

But your typing is fucking annoying. Take off the caps lock, use punctuation, and write in complete sentences. Good Grief.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
Considering the fact that synchromax is designed for manual transmissions that originally used automatic transmission fluid, and the R154 is designed to use 80w-90 gear oil, I personally would not recommend it. I'd try one of royal purples gear oils first.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
Neodeuccio said:
I'm curious too... What have people added to their R154's to get smoother shifts?
i used redline mt-90 and it felt like a whole new transmission after changing to it

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
suprajjang said:
i used redline mt-90 and it felt like a whole new transmission after changing to it

Red Line MT-90 is excellent...it's 75W-90. It would be my 1st choice on a manual tranny.

If you are going to use Royal Purple, get the Max-Gear 80W-90...the 75W-90 will work well too, especially in a bit colder climate.

Do not use any friction modifier additives in the tranny.