Has anyone tried this GodSpeed radiator and elec. fan setup?

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have a Godspeed radiator on my 2jz setup and it runs well. I'm using one single 16' electric fan though, not two 12's. The difference between two 12's and one 16' was very close, but I found a better deal for the 16'.

Christopher

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No shroud = bad idea.

Stock fan will flow more, not sure on the fitment of the radiator as the early ones fit terribly...

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't have a fan shroud at the moment, but it runs quite well actually. Before I switched to an electric fan/changed radiators it did overheat a little without it, but it runs nicely now. If I could find a shroud that wasn't overly priced, I'd get it, but none of the yards in this area have any. I think when I called Toyota, it was in the 100-110 area. Very expensive imo.

Christopher

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
SideWinderGX;1528016 said:
The stock clutch fan flows more at higher rpms while electric fans flow more at lower rpms. The key is having a good shroud and undercover.

I dont agree. A good working fan clutch will flow more at idle and a fan is not even needed with high rpms since you are moving and the air flow alone is enough to keep the engine cool.

A shroud and under cover will really help tho.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Athena;1525441 said:
I don't have a fan shroud at the moment, but it runs quite well actually. Before I switched to an electric fan/changed radiators it did overheat a little without it, but it runs nicely now. If I could find a shroud that wasn't overly priced, I'd get it, but none of the yards in this area have any. I think when I called Toyota, it was in the 100-110 area. Very expensive imo.

Christopher

Sounds like they're ripping you off, mine was cheap.

And as I've already said, those fans being tacked to the radiator are going to SUCK. It needs a shroud and it needs to space them away from the radiator a bit. THose style fans are usually used a condenser fans or helper fans, NOT main fans. A PROPER e-fan setup works well, but they're NOT cheap.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Electric fans flow the same amount over the entire rpm band. Mechanical fans flow in relation to the rpm the engine is revving to. So if a mechanical fan pulls more air all the time like you claim, the electric fan must be REALLY down there in terms of flow ;)

http://howto.globalvicinity.com/gv_wiki.php?wi=191&co=1&vi=1

Calculations showing that an electric fan outflows a mechanical up to about 2200 rpm, albeit on a specific car. Pics don't work for some reason though, the charts were nice the last time I loaded the page.

Blah, can't find anything else though...mostly just opinions and no hard data :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Two cheap e-fans tacked to a radiator isn't going to outflow the stock setup...

Not to mention that link isn't true measured numbers, only estimates based on fan design (e-fans usually don't perform as well as they say, especially under load).

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
The same can be said of a stock clutch fan with a bad shroud and no undertray ;)

I'm assuming a properly working, properly mounted fully functioning unit in both cases.

True those numbers aren't measured data but I've yet to see anything better (unfortunately), it'd be great to have some data on the subject.