Has anyone tried any other knock sensors? GM or 2JZ? I think I need to replace one...

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
I had a resurgence of Code 52 the last couple of weeks. It comes on at random times. I did the re-wire several years ago with coaxial cable and new 7mgte KS clips from Champion. The rewire fixed my code 52 then, but now it's back. I did check all my wiring and it all still looks good. I even cleared the codes and tried wiggling the wires on the clips and by the ecu connections to see if I could trigger the code but to no avail. I'm not even sure if this would work, but it seems it would intensify an "electrical short".

So I am thinking that one of my KS is on its way out (they are originals). Due to the cost of the sensors and the hassle of changing them out. I am thinking maybe it would be best to ditch them all together in favor of something more economical.

I found these, which apparently work? Can someone verify?
http://www.atsracing.com/Parts/Details/EL-KNOCKSENSOR

I also have heard that 2jz knock sensors can be used if new JZ clips are ordered. And it looks like they sell some OEM brands on eBay for 30-40 bucks a sensor.

I figure if I have to change a KS, it won't be a big deal to change the clip if needed.

Thanks for the help as always!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its resonance type knock sensor and they are matched to the particular engine. So the ecu is looking for that signal for proper operation. Use only the correct part number knock sensors.