Has anyone ever rebuilt their R154 Tranny?

chriso

Supranian
Apr 5, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I am looking to put a R154 in place of my 95 TT/Auto tranny but wanted to rebuild my spare tranny first. I would like to rebuild it myself using a master rebuild kit that is available but wondered how difficult it may be and if special tools are needed.

In the alternative, does anyone know how much a company such as marlin crawler would charge to rebuild it?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
marlin charges a lot, but they do a HELL of a lot more than a simple normal rebuild...
IIRC it was almost a grand to get them to do it, but the one or two people that have done it have had zero issues...

a normal rebuild replaces the syncros and bearings, marlins usually involves checking and replacing EVERYTHING that's worn...

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
MDCmotorsports said:
I sell the kit....
yes, i ahve been meaning to talk to you about your kit, does it include shifter forks, or do you think i wil need them when i rebulild my R154A?

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i rebuilt and broke mine,

unsure how it broke,

right now im thinking thrust washer or shift fork,

when we set up the trannie we fallowed all the clearence that is in the tsrm so im hoping it's just a old worn fork that gave out. .

in the mean while you'll need snap ring pliers, atleast a 5ton press that you can fit a 3foot shaft into and you will need a couple of bearing splitters to aid in pulling the assembly apart, aswell as a sleeve to help things go back together.

becarefull! any mistakes and you break your main shaft. or gears and it becomes spendy, i was luckie enough to do mine in school, so when my partners and i weren't paying attention on the second tranny i brought in and it snaped, my teacher let us tear down the schools for parts so long as we put it back together..