Hard to reach coolant hose

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
There is a coolant hard line that runs across the back of the motor and a hose attaches to the driver side of it just below the EGR. Any way to get at this hose and replace it without damn near pulling the motor? I can't even see the damn thing, but know it's leaking. The leak is VERY minor, but leaks don't fix themselves....they only get worse. I REALLY don't wanna have to pull the motor forward just to replace this f'n hose... :: angry :: Only other way I see possible is pulling the top of the intake and EGR out...is that the trick? I swear this car is going to be the death of me.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Constant tension (CT) clamp, or worm (screw) clamp on it? Mine had a worm clamp that replaced the CT clamp along time ago. Thank God it did cause I was able to get it with a 1/4" ratchet, extension, universal joint, and 8mm socket. Pliers are just to damn hard to get back in there. Maybe you can get some small needle nose pliers back there and feel around.

xCxHxRxIxSx

Mar 4, 2011
Oakville, Ontario
I remember that one lol. I had to do same as Suprapowaz and used a couple extensions and a swivel and it was still a major pain in the ass. However if you have a spring clamp on it you may have to pull the egr out of the way. Good luck!

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
It has a worm clamp on it, but hell, I can't even touch the hose. LOL. Getting the clamp loose is the least of my worries. Getting the hose off and a new one on is what I'm thinking is going to be the worst part.

xCxHxRxIxSx

Mar 4, 2011
Oakville, Ontario
Iirc I had one hand wedged against the fire wall with a finger on the clamp to prevent it from spinning, while I had a ratchet with 2' worth of extensions in the other hand behind the alternator to tighten it. I think it took me half an hour or so just to tighten that one clamp but I managed to do it.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Suprapowaz!(2);1855779 said:
Constant tension (CT) clamp, or worm (screw) clamp on it? Mine had a worm clamp that replaced the CT clamp along time ago. Thank God it did cause I was able to get it with a 1/4" ratchet, extension, universal joint, and 8mm socket. Pliers are just to damn hard to get back in there. Maybe you can get some small needle nose pliers back there and feel around.
These help with those hard to reach CT clamps.

As for the OP, I have heard that you can remove the trans mount, and jack up the rear of the transmission to get some space to change that hose. I have not personally tried it, so not sure if this works or not. While in there, I would recommend changing the EGR cooler gasket with an OEM toyota one.
-AM3

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
I just did this hose not long ago. With the right sized needle nosed pliers you can get in there to remove the spring clamp. Then use screw clamps with the new hose. You don't have to tilt the motor, unless your hands are massive :p