Guage reads normal. Engine feels warm.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
The guage reads normal (about 3 notches below horizontal), but the engine is really warm. Everything in the engine bay becomes to hot to touch, not just warm.

I just finished a rebuild on the motor and I set the timing, and then discovered a code 51 (TPS). I fixed that and went to reset the timing and found it about 5* retarded. I have not tested the thermostat yet, and It still has the jiggle valve.

BE_042.gif

What is the difference of Yazaki and Nippondenso?
What resistance am I suppost to be seeing at operating temp? 40 or 50 ohms?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
10 degrees advanced is where its set now. I was figuring on manufacturer, but wondering why they both didnt have resistant values for all temperature ranges.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
It is turbo. But it has been a long time since the car has ran. I figured it entirely too possible that something elses expiration date expired while sitting around for the rebuild. Maybe I just forgot how hot the car ran, and Im sure the retarded timing wasn;t helping. Coolant temp should be between 180 and 200 F correct?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
i stand corrected!! damn id never imagine it would heat the motor up! i knew it would heat the exhaust up but not the actual motor! chop my legs off and call me short!

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Uh, a hot engine is normal.. whether it's turbo or n/a. You don't think several thousand explosions per minute is supposed to get a little toasty? I know my engine doesn't overheat, but it is definitely hot to the touch. Give it 10-20 minutes and it starts cooling, at least the ceramic coated parts.

Weather plays a factor too, the bay will stay hotter longer if it's summer and even longer if the car is black or dark blue.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Lol you guys are making me hungry. It just seem warmer than any of my other cars. Ill have to start looking into ways to evacuate that heat from the bay.

suprajim

Mar 11, 2008
ga
Make sure that you have the plastic engine undercover installed. It is part of the cooling system; without it, the symptoms are what you described.