gte wiring issues

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
Ok so, i am in the process of swapping a 90 gte engine into my pre 89 chasis. i got it all in today,and found 2 plugs that wont connect to my car. i need to know what to do?how to fix it.

one plug is close to the fuse box under the hood it has 5 wires coming from it(i think) and the other is under the dash and it is a larger square connector with aroun 7 wires in it.

i am trying to upload pics now. maybe someone knows what i need to do ,and can let me know without them. i am sure that it has been covered,but i cannot find anything on it with the search option. thank for any help. pics coming soon

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
p1765864_1.jpg

p1765864_2.jpg

p1765864_3.jpg

p1765864_4.jpg

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
1st plug looks like a plug for an auto trans
2nd plug is the body harness connector. They changed from pre 89 to post 89

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Makes sense, that looks like an auto ECU as well.

The body harness connector should work though, since I was able to fit an '87 ECU into my '89. (89 grey plug to '87 yellow plug)

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
thanks for the input. the 1st plg i cannot figure out what it goes to. i have the whole donor car sitting beside my car,it does not have a plug like that one. the 2nd connector i found the one that matches it under the dash of the donor car,and i cut a pigtail. both have pretty much the same color wires coming from them. can i just splice the like colors.....

also my car was and automatic before,last engine i swapped in i just reused my original harness so everything clipped right in. but somehow my harness got thrown away. i am pretty sure the one under the dash is stopping me from getting power to anything. when i turn the key forward ,nothing works but the open door chime. no horn,lights,wipers,lights in dash. nothing.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
thanks for the help,i will check it out today when i go back to the car,but i searched all around in that area and could not find what it should plug into. even checked the donor car and couldnt find anything...but i know it has to go somewhere. any input on just matching the colors for the pigtail i cut under the dash?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Hey I figured I would jump over here because I was asking the same question about the pic. 1 plug. I had already made a thread called wire tuck help. Basically I want to move my fuse box. But that plug is the only thing holding me up from doing so. I really need to know what it is too. It has 5 wires and it is right by the alternator wire as in the same harness. It goes under the intake manifold in one direction and into the harness by the alternator in the other direction. What does the C1 connector do? That diagram that bioskyline posted the C1 connecter appears to have 6 wires. I see another one with 5 wires in that diagram. Most importanly what is its purpose?

And about matching the colours with the under dash one I would say match the gauge of wire AND the color.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

And I have a 1988 7MGTE manual trans. The plug is there and plugged in on my car.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I took a bunch of pictures so here they come. In some I am pointing at the connector in question. My battery and alternator are removed from the car. And I have done a bit of wire tucking and relocating of things. All my fan relays are gone. So don't get confused by those things.

p1766067_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

More pics. What is the connector? Who knows?

p1766067_2.jpg

p1766067_3.jpg

p1766067_4.jpg

p1766067_5.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I took many pictures to help you out as much as possible. If the connector isn't in the pic then it is a pic of where the wires run to inside the big harness.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thats all them

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

The 5 wire colours on that greenish yellowish connector are white(or pink), black with green stripe(or orange stripe), black with yellow stripe, white with black stripe, black with red stripe. The plug has a spot for 6 wires but there are only 5 wires running through it.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
Have you tried working out what's what by using an appropriate year EWD? That should give you the colors for all the wiring in the car and tell you where your mystery plug should be plugged up.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
not a check connector, it plugs into the fuse box, as the ECU(EFI) and INJ fuses are in the underhood box. if will have to be spliced into the yellow plug,

Last edited:

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Okay after a Google search of "7MGTE C1 check connector" (which had a few sm links lol) I have realized it is an important plug. It has a wire going to the EFI main and I read about the fuel pump won't work and some relays and starter and such. You will have to Google it but in my case it needs to stay. Oh well guess I need to work a bit harder on my wire tuck lol.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I did that for the ABS connector when I put the '87 GTE into my '89. The ABS plug didn't fit, so I spliced in the ECU side harness from my '89 and the chassis side one from the '87 to make an adapter harness. ABS works fine with it that way. The wires were similar, but not exactly the same colours. From that, it's likely that it should work. Might be an idea to consult the EWD at CygnusX1.

WonIt

Air ,Fuel ,Spark!
Feb 26, 2006
Front Royal,VA
I have found the pinout for the plug under the dash,but am having a hard time finding a pinout sheet on the 1990 harness. The plugs are different,so maybe the wire colors are also. Any help would be appreciated,as I will be heading to work on the car tomorrow after work.