gte code 31 (maf) only active at idle

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
i need some advice on this one, im generally pretty good at electric issues but this ones got my chasing my tail...

most recent background:
i bought a harness and ecu from a guy on the forum. got it swapped in and all was fine for about an hour, then i had knock sensor codes...so i separated my knock sensor wires from my old loom and just taped/zip tied the wires for now. i drove about 500 miles to houston and back and it was perfect until the last 50 miles on my way home.
now when i go off throttle it throws a code 31 maf open or shorted and caused afr's to go into the 10's, once i get back on throttle, the code goes away, and afr goes back to normal...boost or cruising is fine, but once i let off throttle the cel comes on and if i stop too quickly it stalls out.

i havnt made it as far as back probing the ecu while its running but i have unplugged both ends and checked continuity/resistance. perfect 0.0 on all 5 wires to-from the maf plug. i had a spare sensor and swapped it in and it does the same exact thing...only active at idle and goes away and runs great anywhere else.

after searching a bit i read something that the ecu doesnt use the karman signal (ks) at cranking, is this true at idle as well? does anyone know what signal it actually uses during cranking? i assume something from the tps or cps?

id route new wires like i did before with the knock sensors but with my readings being 0.0, im thinking its either both of my maf sensors are bad (i know its possible but im doubting it greatly since the code goes away while driving) or maybe something else in the wiring is interfering until it gets a stronger signal??

any help is greatly appreciated

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
tps wiring and idle actuator wiring terminals seemed a little loose to me, so i pulled each and adjusted the terminals. i also did the maf terminals again. the tps sensor screws werent loose and the sensor hasnt budged since the last time i set it.
also the pipe is correct and not leaking.

still no change though.

thanks for the quick response, any other ideas?

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
yes, sorry for the confusion...the code doesnt clear itself, only the light goes away.

ive double checked my tps adjustment and still the same issue.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
did your check engine light turn off while driving though?

since my wiring swap i havnt hooked up my greddy emanage, i think ill hook it back up to see what the signal is/isnt doing

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Yes at times when I let off the gas the light would come on and when I got back on the gas it was fine. Idle was the worst though

Thanks,
Kyle

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
thanks man, ill prob hit up the junk yard and hunt for a na 2j in a lex or something...thats where i got my spare to begin with, hope i can find 2 more to test and see what happens.

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
i struck out at the junk yards, not a single sensor in any lex or anything out of 3 yards...bummer

anyone know of anything else i can try while i track down a new sensor?

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
hks super duper mega ultra flow filter but freshly cleaned after the problem arose. all else is stock, minus 57 trim, high flow turbo elbow, 3" exhaust and built/forged internals. intake, fuel, spark etc all else is pretty much stock.

im starting to lean more towards the possibility of my tps being the issue since it only illuminates the light at idle or closed throttle.

thanks for the reply btw, im seriously getting desperate

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Yes this code as far as I am aware will not come up from tps issues. Problem is in the AFM. Source one from for sale section maybe. I got lucky and got one for $30 and it fixed my problems

Thanks,
Kyle

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
dirgle-i did have a greddy emanage installed but that was months ago and with an entirely different ecu and harness. i have not attempted an install as of yet.

jetjock-thanks for the clarification, i just assumed since some wires are shared between sensor to sensor (ie: blue/red stripe on both afm and tps) that "maybe" the tps could throw an afm code if the conditions were just right, thinking that i have some crazy short in there somewhere.

skeezix-ill get on the fs threads and see what i can dig up, i just dont want to spend any extra money if i didnt have to and troubleshoot the entirety of the subject.

thanks all, ill start with a new sensor and report afterwards. im on vaca starting tomorrow so itll be a week or so. much appreciated everyone!

for a "stupid-mania" there sure seems to be a lot more knowledge and a lot less bashing going on over here...OFFICIALLY my preferred site, yall rock over here!

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
for a "stupid-mania" there sure seems to be a lot more knowledge and a lot less bashing going on over here...OFFICIALLY my preferred site, yall rock over here![/QUOTE]

Yes, these guys have helped me solve many issues! Supra Mania FTW!