gt42 journal bearing question?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lagged;1167240 said:
wouldnt a gt42 be called something else if it was journal bearing?

garrett GT turbos are all ball bearing.

Sorry. No :)

Garrett Turbos makes both Ball bearing and journal bearing turbos. They are all designated GT. The differentiating mark is the R at the end.

A GTXX is a journal bearing based turbo.
A GTXXR is a ball bearing based turbo.

So in this case. GT42 is journal bearing, GT42R is ball bearing.

a_sesshoumaru

What are you doing for fueling, timing control, intake, exhaust, redline, motor.

The question as you posed it is ambigous as there is lots of information missing.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
hmm i stand corrected then. i thought i saw on the garrett site that the T series turbos were journal bearing and the GT was ball bearing.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
figgie;1167247 said:
a_sesshoumaru

What are you doing for fueling, timing control, intake, exhaust, redline, motor.

The question as you posed it is ambigous as there is lots of information missing.

Forged Internals, MHG,ARPs, Ported head, Clutch, Dual walbros, Paxton FPR, MSD 850cc injectors. Now i have a 3 inches free flow exhaust, no cat or detonators, big front mount intercooler, apexi blow off valve, 2.5 intercooler hardpipes, i think i have the suporting mods, but still on stock timing and stock red line. how long would it take to spool? and how many psi would i be able to run, currently i have a 60mm turbo at 23 psi with no problems at all.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
A gt42.........

4800 RPM on our heads if you are lucky. Then off course you need a manifold to sit the GT42 on it so that requires custom manifold with T4 flange. Then you need to do it right otherwise hood won't close or will require hood cutting to make it close.

GT42 would require MAJOR port work along with some high duraction cams but most importantly..... STANDALONE for injection and ignition