Grey smoke, oil from PCV lines

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Im burning oil when I take off or rev(good bit of grey smoke), I checked the pcv line from valve covers to the accordian, sure enough - oil. These line should be bone dry correct?

Does this mean the orifice on the TB is clogged? Checked the tsrm but desont really elaborate a whole lot.

I guess I need to clean out the orifice with solvent and compressed air as the tsrm suggests, do I need to take it apart to do so?

Anything else I should inspect or check?

thanks

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Update:

After an overwhelming response to this thread......:sarcasm: here is what i have found out.

Yes some oil vapors and residue is normal in the pcv lines (bone dry is probably only with a catch can in place) but the amount I found is not normal. Did a compression test and leak down, and 5 and 6 have low compression. The head will come off soon for further inspection. Its a fresh build so I dont know what went wrong yet. I'll update again as soon as I know more.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
hmm well let us know whats up.... smoke out the tail pipe isnt normal. I run a strait exhaust (no cat) and no smoke ever....

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
UPDATE: FUCK MY LIFE.

well #6 has 80% leakage, compression was shared between all cylinders, no lube used on the arps and absolutely none for me either. Thats what you get when you try to cut corners folks. My dad built the motor for free but he does domestic work.... i wouldnt recommend him to any import folks. the tolerances were not tight enough and there is skirt drag on all walls, needs to be rehoned but the block is trash as it is at its limits for taking any more metal off the deck or out of the cylinders, and I dont know if the pistons will be reusable or not yet.

so 1000 miles is all i got out of this motor and no fun. I am looking at my options and contemplating 2J.... we shall see. I am pretty depressed right now and will be heading to the bar to sob in my beer :(

Edit: if i go 2J i guess i need to change my name to 2thousandpiecesJzgte???

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
send it to bryan maloffs (sp?) shop in Georgia, Tell him to send back a complete short block and i know more then a few of the guys on here would say thats about as fool proof as it comes...(at least on the machine work and tolerances)

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
I feel your pain man, I just did a compression test and my #3and 4 are 65psi and 60 psi. Fresh rebuilt last may, i dont know what caused it though. Leakdown test you say hhhmmmm. What are the things that i can check on those 2 cylinders that could have gone wrong? Rings? Valve Stems?Headgasket bolts loose??

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
wardog;1273369 said:
I feel your pain man, I just did a compression test and my #3and 4 are 65psi and 60 psi. Fresh rebuilt last may, i dont know what caused it though. Leakdown test you say hhhmmmm. What are the things that i can check on those 2 cylinders that could have gone wrong? Rings? Valve Stems?Headgasket bolts loose??

all of the above. the head will need to come off or the engine removed to know for sure....

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
7000mgte: how did you do your compression testing?. and you pulled the engine apart to find all that damage?

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
JMofIRW;1273528 said:
no offence, but isn't this bound to happen if the head isn't torqued with the proper torque for the lube? I am getting ready to rebuild and I thought this is a definite if not done properly?

uhhh no. the reason its trashed is poor machine work/tolerances. But the fact that the head was not seated / installed prpoerly would have caused issues not too further done the road anyway. I didnt do the work.

racerpage

Supra Drifter
Jun 15, 2007
Baltimore,Md
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1274791 said:
not your fault Rob. i appreciate you and max looking into this for me.
You are probably thinking 7m or 2j right now. I love both motors. I like the HP of the 2j but the torque of a 7m. I was at the same point 6 months ago. What i found out is that no matter which way you decide, in the long run you pay spend about the same money. We can even do a 1j swap also but the motor won't be built. We like assembling the motors so we know for sure what we have. Everyone seems to think that there is this magical JDM Low Mileage engine tree that these motors come from and I have had bad and good experiences. Sort of like a hand of blackjack. It all depends on your build goals for the car and if you want to keep it or try to find another one. BTW, I do have a 7m block in my basement, but a n/a motor.