... great ... a chaser

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
Ever had something stupid happen to you? Yep happened to me too. I ordered a 1JZ-GTE and it was stated that it was a supra 1JZ. Well guess what, I am now the owner of a 1JZ Chaser ... not a supra. I have been reading and getting mixed answers and you guys are the problem solvers so here I go ... The chaser has a front sump oil pan. I'm putting this into a MK3 body. I need a rear sump correct? Also, as far as motor mounts, I had already ordered the custom motor mounts to fit into a 86.5 MK3 [the square style]. Will these still work?

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
the square style mounts will work, and i had a similar issue with my 1jz i was quotes for a supra motor but got a soarer motor but soarer motor is a rear sump so i got lucky and yes you will need a rear sump... who did you get the motor from?

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
I bought it from Engine Land Inc .... and the other good part is that I bought it as a complete engine and transmission. The Chaser transmission sits 3 or 4 further back then what I need it to ... yay me /sarcasm ... The price of oil pans aren't very cheap lol.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I feel your pain.

Honestly I would reject the motor, If you specifically order a SUPRA set and got a Chaser set you should send it back. Unless you are willing to source a TRUE REAR sump pan and I mean rear because I recently got hosed on a MID sump pan and my 1j is sitting on my crossmember.. Also two of the ECU plugs are still on what ever car the motor came out of. You are going to have to get some and make your own wiring which was not to bad, but was a total pain in the ass. You can send the harness to DR Tweak or Mark at PSI and have them do it. Seriously read the threads in the other engine tech section. It is doable, but if you didnt get what you paid for then send that shit back,be an asshole and threatin a lawsuit it's the American way.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would agree to send it back.

Idk if the have engine importers where you live or not but see if you can find one that you can see in person before buying so you know what your getting.

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
Score one for the good guys!!! I couldn't get him to swap the whole engine BUUUTTTTT he is sending me the correct oil pan and I got my ignitor for free. Still going to be a wiring pain but can't win 'em all I guess. It's better then me having to out of pocket for the oil pan.

As far as the transmission, the engine that was pulled out of my car had a 5spd R154 so I guess I will just switch bellhousing and call it a day. Do I have to swap the bell housing or is there something else I could do [aside from cutting into the car]? If not, no big deal since I can use my 7M transmission. For the body harness, I will either make my own or bite the bullet and make a Dr appointment [that isn't going to be cheap]

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
To all of you guys that ordered " Supra " motors but got a Chaser or a Soarer, please post where you got your motor from, i.e. company you went through. Most companies say they're Supra motors, but do not know anything. Just a word of advice to any of you. When you order a 1JZ you need to ask the question to ensure you're getting a Supra motor. I did when i ordered one, and the results were great.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Good he's helping by giving you the pan, make sure it comes with pickup and baffle as they are different.

How is the R154 on a chaser longer? I would assume there is a shifter extention and assume the bellhousing is no different from a supra 1jz

Cam_Ron

Dec 14, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The jzx90 chaser r154 has the longest of all of the shifter extensions and is the rarest. Supra has no extension, and jzz30 soarer has a medium length extension. Your transmission is very valuable to the guys that swap a 1j or 2j into their rx7's.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
only issue with returning the motor is... you have to pay for shipping it back also they charge some bullshit 15% restocking fee... you may get the engine you want but at a higher price cause of the initial return.... with some of theses companies your lucky to get anything off them so since you got the correct oil pan is a step up for us.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

i went thorugh JDM Tiger... eff them never using them again... i'm going to cali and seeing and picking up my motor in person next time...

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
*Update*

I said screw the oil pan swap because more then likely, they would forget to send something. I demanded that they swap it out. To my shock, they admitted the error AND agreed to swap it out for me. You don't see that every day. Now, I get to play the waiting game yet again ... one day just one day I might be able to get my swap started and finished.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I would make them give me a Soarer wiring harness . I just messed with the Chaser harness and it is a stupid pain in the ass. .

Not to be an Asshole, But because of people like you these company's do this kind of shit because they know there will be no repercussions. You have the rights and laws on your side. You can legally send it back at their cost. It is not what you ordered or payed for.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/c_buying_over_the_internet.pdf

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
No legally I had to pay the shipping. It stated on their website that any returns [whether it was their fault or not] would be done at the expense of the buyer. This was part of the purchase agreement. However, I didn't think there was anyway I would get the wrong engine [considering I called them after I ordered to remind them to send the Supra 1JZ].

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
To the op: If you ever order another motor, just ask them what sump the motor is before they send it. It'll save you a headache. Also, wiring won't be a pain, just a little more involved, so you'lll either learn something if you don't know about that or spend a little money. Also, your tranny is worth bread. The dude earlier said rx7 dudes like them, but IS300 guys do too. That should cover some expenses. You got a pan out of the deal, you should change all seals and gaskets anyway, so still a win. Really, it sounds like this was a blessing for you because it forced you to pay attention to things you were seemingly going to overlook. You should change the title to: Great! A Chaser!!!

To most of you other guys that replied and the op: The lesson here is if you don't know wtf you're getting into, research it or you'll probably fail and then you'l not only suck at life, but you'll be poor too and your girlfriend will leave you and she'll take your dog too and you'll cry your self to sleep every night. The end.