GPS Speedometer needed - Read below!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
After my 2JZ engine swap we hooked up an adapeter piece (just a sleeve) into the tranny and had my speedo/odo back and working. But as long as I've had my Supra I've had a squeel behind the dash where the speedo cable connects to the gauge, and ironically after a few more miles with it working it finally crapped out again. This time behind the dash.

Wonderful. :icon_mad:

At this time I don't have the downtime needed to rip out my dash to fix it (car is daily driven), so I'm going to need a replacement gauge. I already have a Pioneer double-DIN GPS nav headunit in my car, but for some oddball reason they didn't see fit to include speedo/trip computer gauges in the software.

Anyone using or recommend a decent 0~160MPH 3-1/2" or larger speedo that has a trip computer AND runs off of GPS? Self-contained?

p.s. - I KNOW running any GPS gauge is not as accurate as a normal one due to weather delays in the signal, but I can at the very least guesstimate my speed on the road which is all I need to do with daily driving.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why not just replace the gauge.

Dont need to pull the dash to remove it just the cluster and you can still drive the car without it in there. It not hard to guess what your speed is based off other cars.

Also the cable is supposed to be greased back there. That is prolly what your squeaky noise was.

audia4guy08

Oct 23, 2011
Tacoma,WA
I changed all of the speedo cables in my driveway in 30 mins. I had an extra pair of hands though I should mention that. edit #2 I totally forgot to even give an answer for the actual question lol. I used a garmin nuvi as a speedometer for a little while in my E30 until I got it fixed never had any problems with that.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
hvyman;1963549 said:
Why not just replace the gauge.

Dont need to pull the dash to remove it just the cluster and you can still drive the car without it in there. It not hard to guess what your speed is based off other cars.

Also the cable is supposed to be greased back there. That is prolly what your squeaky noise was.

How do you get to the cluster without removing the dash? Everything I've ever heard about replacing gauges meant pulling the dash out.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya you just remove the facia around the stereo and heater controls. The left side button faces. The thop part above the cluster and then pull the cluster out.

It's easy.

And just for the sake you can still drive the car with no dash as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.