Gotta replace oil gasket in front... what else?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Well, I took my car over to a friend's house to show him what I had, and as he was nosing around the front underneath of the car it started slow leaking oil (didn't see it when it was level earlier...:3d_frown:). So, replacing the oil gasket in the front is in short order (where the leak was coming from). Since I have to pull the rad, fan shroud, and mech fan anyway, what else should I replace at the same time? I figure getting one of those kevlar timing belts as well, can't be too cautious.

EDIT: looks like the water pump gasket can be done at the same time....

Last edited:

Zer0Suvivers

Apr 25, 2009
California
change the front main seal too. i just changed all that too. front main. oil seal. and timing belt. and i didnt get a new idler with mine. you might have to buy that separately. and you dont have to pull the radiator. the harmonic balancer should just slip off after pulling the bolt off. but its cake. just make sure you put some oil on both sides of the seal before reinstalling! lemme know how it goes

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
There's an o-ring on the distributor shaft (or the GTE equivalent) that gets hard and stops sealing where it enters the engine. Change that one while you're at it.

Asterix

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Well, it looks like my engine cleanup has stalled until after my vacation at the beginning of October. Hopefully by the end of that month I'll have my parts and be ready to get dirty. :evil2: