Gotta get some of that 7m love.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Awesome build! This is one of my dream swaps that'd I'd love to do someday.

You 515 guys sound like you have it helluva a lot better than us here in the Quad Cities as far as a car scene. Ours is dead, we don't even have a shop that will dyno imports

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
DOUBL3 D;1861864 said:
Awesome build! This is one of my dream swaps that'd I'd love to do someday.

You 515 guys sound like you have it helluva a lot better than us here in the Quad Cities as far as a car scene. Ours is dead, we don't even have a shop that will dyno imports

I could theres a couple guys from around the quad cities area there. Stu Zick has a silver MK II with a 7mgte in it and I think Joes from that area. He has a Silver MK III 1jzgte. If you ever make it into the des moines area let me know. Were having a get together on aug 11th. Just something smaller @ buffalo wild wings.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
I've never seen any of them and I've lives there 20 year. Kinda a bummer. Was the silver mk3 originally an N/A Targa, 1988? Could have been my dads old Supra lol.

I just moved to Missouri last week so it would be a bit of a trip to make it not bit if you guys have a gtg this coming spring I'd love to come up. I'm having some issues with the car now :-( it sucks my old 87.7T was more reliable than this one and it had 80,000 more miles lol.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
DOUBL3 D;1861937 said:
I've never seen any of them and I've lives there 20 year. Kinda a bummer. Was the silver mk3 originally an N/A Targa, 1988? Could have been my dads old Supra lol.

I just moved to Missouri last week so it would be a bit of a trip to make it not bit if you guys have a gtg this coming spring I'd love to come up. I'm having some issues with the car now :-( it sucks my old 87.7T was more reliable than this one and it had 80,000 more miles lol.

That definitely could be the car I can't remember if its a targa. Its been garaged the last couple years while he completes his swap. Sorry to hear about the car man they can be a pain sometimes.

This build thread is actually my brothers not sure how many people know that.

Suprasaurus

Nov 7, 2008
slowmedown;1861967 said:
nice i like! how much does your car weigh? just curious cause with that 7m its gonna fly

Speaking of which, I should reweigh it soon. I want to say the average weight is 3000 pounds. I weighed mine with and it was 3100+, which makes me wonder if it having a turbo, intercooler, bigger exhaust, leather interior, etc., etc., etc. would make it weigh more. That 3100+ was without the A/C stuff. I've now put the A/C stuff back in, went to a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, bigger intake manifold, upgraded radiator, upgraded trans (r154), etc., etc. so I'm guessing it will be 3200+, lol.

I'll try and post back sometime in the next month with a number.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
NewGen;1862020 said:
That definitely could be the car I can't remember if its a targa. Its been garaged the last couple years while he completes his swap. Sorry to hear about the car man they can be a pain sometimes.

This build thread is actually my brothers not sure how many people know that.

I'll get it figured out, its half of why these cars are so satisfying imo.

Suprasaurus;1862027 said:
Speaking of which, I should reweigh it soon. I want to say the average weight is 3000 pounds. I weighed mine with and it was 3100+, which makes me wonder if it having a turbo, intercooler, bigger exhaust, leather interior, etc., etc., etc. would make it weigh more. That 3100+ was without the A/C stuff. I've now put the A/C stuff back in, went to a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, bigger intake manifold, upgraded radiator, upgraded trans (r154), etc., etc. so I'm guessing it will be 3200+, lol.

I'll try and post back sometime in the next month with a number.

That's still better than the 3,700+ most of us mk3 guys are looking at ;)

Out of curiosity how hard was the swap?

Suprasaurus

Nov 7, 2008
DOUBL3 D;1862031 said:
That's still better than the 3,700+ most of us mk3 guys are looking at ;)

Out of curiosity how hard was the swap?

It wasn't terribly hard if you're ok with some fabrication and wiring. Everything has changed since I originally did the swap (so it's not the way I'm about to describe). The w58 will bolt to a 7mgte (which is pretty obvious), you can push the stock power steering line down and hook it into the 7m power steering pump with no modification, the 5m engine mounts will bolt to the 7mgte block with little to no problems (you have to grind on the a/c bracket if you have a/c and you have to clock the oil filter 90 degree thing out of the way), there's a write-up (on celicasupra.com) for the wiring that is simple IMO (I've built 3-4 rewire subharnesses because we were selling them at one point), then it's a matter of making exhaust, mounting an intercooler, building intercooler piping, etc.

It'd be a pretty good winter project if you already have a handle on working on cars, have some money to blow, and a place to work. Though everything is different on my setup, so there's been a lot more modification, for example: r154, 1 piece driveshaft, mkIII radiator, ron r FFIM, Megasquirt, etc.

If I sold this car, I'd probably buy a another celica supra, a celica, or a cressida (mx73) and swap a stock 7mgte in. Keep the engine setup stock (as stock as it can be, possibly an upgraded turbo), build intercooler piping, exhaust, a Megasquirt, then upgrade only the things that need upgrade to make 18 psi and be happy with it. But I'm kind of dreaming :D, I have spent too much money on this car to consider selling it...