Got a new car

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
I bought a 89 N\A supra 5 speed for a good price yesterday but it got a couple of problems most of them seem to be solvable for me but this one hell problem when you accelerate and at around 4k rpm it kinda feels that the car is dying and the power is decreasing and if I keep driving it past 4k it keep dying and if I keep doing so the car overheats! what the hell is going on?any ideas? Oh and it have a new engine with like 25k miles on it

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I think you need a full tune up. My friends nissan had this same problem, after about 3500 RPM'S it would bog out and start dying. Tune up solved that problem!

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
I checked the car and it's throwing a couple of codes including a bad knock-sensor maybe it's not functioning and a bad or not working O2 sensor but I don't think that's an issue cause I set the timing manually but I think It needs service..I noticed many cracks in the intake hose after the AFM I know that will cause unmetered air to enter and cause the car to run lean I'm going to fix that and change air\fuel filters also I wanna change the fuel pump filter..do I have to drop the tank to change the fuel pump or it's filter? or is it accessable from under the back-seat like many toyotas?

thanks for the help.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Code 52 will sap a lot of power as well as the O2 code can make the car run poorly. You have to drop the tank to replace the pump, you don't have to drop the tank to replace the filter.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Well I'm gonna replace the knock sensor..Is turbo and non-turbo knock sensors the same? Or they are diffrent? cause I could use one from my f*d up turbo engine. and I could get a non-turbo o2 sensor cause I think it's diffrent from the turbo and non-turbo right?

lol thanks 92turbo4life

Yeah I think i'm gonna check the fuel pump tommorow.

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
That x on the drivers side head light looks funny!!!!! Check the vacum lines and make sour all the sencers are pluged in or even there. Thats the first thing I do when I buy a car.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Toyota dealer can tell you if the part #'s are the same on the knock sensor,
n/a or turbo.

Restricted exhaust comes to mind on the original problem of bogging down above 4k rpm, and overheating. Cat conveter, muffler, pinched pipe ??

Cracks in the air intake can also cause the AFM 'trap door' to not open as far as it should for the amount of air going into the engine. This will cause a 'lean' condition, which will cause your symtoms too. Lean=heat.

Knock sensors are NOT cheap, and seldom fail, so "I" would repair all the other things first. Also, I can "unplug" the knock sensor and drive my car all day long, and NOT have the problems you have.

It's function is to signal to the ECU that there is some pinging in the engine, and the ECU will retard the timing until the ping stops. It won't retard the timing below about 5*. That timing WON'T cause your problems.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Why does this seem familliar????? I think I know amd from another forum or something.
Now that he has found the source of all of the wisdom I have given to him, I guess there will be no sense in going over it with him anymore.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Well I solved the problem i payed the junkyard a little visit couldn't find any supras there but found some cressidas with 7ms and took a KS from it and bought a new O2 sensor that "raised" my bogging to around 5.5k and now I found that I have cracks in the intake i'm going tommorow to get a new intake cause mine is really messed up.

But I still need to know if knock sensors are the same for turbo and N\As? Cause Toyota dealers here don't have turbo knock sensors they just tell me it's the same but I really can't risk it cause they aren't cheap.

Supramacist....You know me?from which forums?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I don't know. I thought I had been speaking to you in supra furums but I may have been mistaken. All this stuff runs together sometimes when I am up late. Sorry to bother, don't mind me.

jazzsaxman1988

smells like burnt waffles
May 6, 2006
Dinwiddie, VA
www.cygnusx1.net
Am 90% sure that they're the same sensor. The difference in the two cars is that NA's have 1 knock sensor while turbo's have 2. All it is is a sensor that detects vibration. If there was a difference, it would be in the ECU, not the sensor. But like I said, I'm not 100% sure. But making two different knock sensors would be stupid. Good luck!

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Holy post revival!! It's been a month dude, pretty sure he found his answer, plus it was just answered in another thread :bigthumb:

-Derek