Going to a Single, EMS ?

ochocinco5k

Jul 31, 2012
boston,ma
Just wondering about the 2JZ swap, if I ditch the factory twins, and upgrade to a Borg Warner 6258, which is good for 300 to 450hp, would I need to upgrade the fuel management ? I'm looking to make about 350hp, and i figured the stock computer would be ok, as long as boost and fuel pressure were roughly the same. Would 12 - 14 psi, be ok for the computer or would I be hitting fuelcut every other minute ?

Cant wait to start building the 2J

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
If you have the 550cc injectors your probably okay but a fuel controller and wideband will def. give you the piece of mind. As for fuel cut, a bigger turbo is a lot more efficient my friends 1jz is hitting fuelcut at 10lbs on a gt35r and I make 16 on my stock twins without fuelcut. So it's hard to say, if you do need a fuelcut defender I would def. be monitering my air-fuel ratio's first.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not sure why you'd go single for that power goal when it's attainable on the stock twins... Hell, 350HP is simply a bit more boost...

ochocinco5k

Jul 31, 2012
boston,ma
With the EFR series turbo, it should spool faster than the twins, and be more reliable than rebuilt twins, I also want to get rid of the exhaust bypass system. It should also give more space, or not having to knock the firewall a couple of inches to fit the twins. another great thing for the BorgWarner is an internal wastegate, and recirculation valve.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock twins go well over 100K miles...

It's your build, but it's a huge waste of money for your goal (and the sequential system means you don't have lag...)

ochocinco5k

Jul 31, 2012
boston,ma
If I switch to the 550cc injectors in the USDm model would i have to switch ECM's ? I thought they were different impedance.

By what rpm are they twins fully spooled by ?

THMotorsports

ochocinco5k;1952304 said:
Just wondering about the 2JZ swap, if I ditch the factory twins, and upgrade to a Borg Warner 6258, which is good for 300 to 450hp, would I need to upgrade the fuel management ? I'm looking to make about 350hp, and i figured the stock computer would be ok, as long as boost and fuel pressure were roughly the same. Would 12 - 14 psi, be ok for the computer or would I be hitting fuelcut every other minute ?

Cant wait to start building the 2J

That EFR is too small and will choke the motor. You're better off using the stock twins on stock boost with your hp goals.

Beals;1952323 said:
If you have the 550cc injectors your probably okay but a fuel controller and wideband will def. give you the piece of mind. As for fuel cut, a bigger turbo is a lot more efficient my friends 1jz is hitting fuelcut at 10lbs on a gt35r and I make 16 on my stock twins without fuelcut. So it's hard to say, if you do need a fuelcut defender I would def. be monitering my air-fuel ratio's first.

Fuelcut is hard not to hit. It's easy to fix, this should not be the OP's focal point.

ochocinco5k;1952507 said:
With the EFR series turbo, it should spool faster than the twins, and be more reliable than rebuilt twins, I also want to get rid of the exhaust bypass system. It should also give more space, or not having to knock the firewall a couple of inches to fit the twins. another great thing for the BorgWarner is an internal wastegate, and recirculation valve.

You dont have to knock or notch the firewall with the right OEM brackets and some firewalls have different indentations cause there were variations when they built them. Furthermore, a small rubber hammer is not a big deal and not the end of the world. The EFR will spool faster than the twins but will also choke more compared to the twins. Why spend $2k+ on a BW EFR for something you're not even going to be using within it's full potential just because you want to make a certain amount of power before fuel cut? You have to look at the big picture and the end goal. The EFR being IWG is awesome but pick something with a power usable power band like the 7670 which has been well documented on the 2JZ even with IWG.

Poodles;1952677 said:
Stock twins go well over 100K miles...

It's your build, but it's a huge waste of money for your goal (and the sequential system means you don't have lag...)

Agreed!

ochocinco5k;1952796 said:
If I switch to the 550cc injectors in the USDm model would i have to switch ECM's ? I thought they were different impedance.

By what rpm are they twins fully spooled by ?

No... you use a MKIII resistor pack and it will be fine on impedance.
As far as hp/trq values on the twins, there are countless dyno plots on this. Please do a google search before asking questions like these.