Going back to factory cat-back... How much power should I expect to lose?

ocerrahyan

Feb 13, 2009
maryland
Like the title says, been considering going back to the factory catback..A new BOSAL catback factory replacement is said to be approx 2.5in piping (im sure POS crush bent) but i wanted to see how much power i should expect to lose. Currently around 400whp through my single turbo 1jz. Just need this thing quieter. Currently has 3inch apexi cat and N1.

If the loss isnt too significant, id rather just get the OEM replacement and call it a day. tried the silencer on my car and it sounds like horseshit..

Id go with RR's exhaust but really cant afford that right now. and a Bosal replacement is 170 shipped as a catback and bolts right up (or so they say) Plus i can sell the N1 Cat setup and at least break even.

advice?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why not just save or look for a quieter cat back that's 3in.

I have a greddy sp with deleted resonator and gutted cat and my car is still quite with no drone.

Buddy has a Apexi noir with no resonator or cats and it's quite.

There is also the Apexi world sport that is quite as well.

The n1 is a loud exhaust.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
There is an HKS Super Drager muffler in the for sale section, granted you won't have the extra resonators but it's a good start to a quiet system.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
You could always buy a resonator. I am going to be buying one, or making one before long, as my car is so drony. I have RSR with the stock cat and it is gutted, so I think that is were the drone is coming from.
Also I thought my exhaust was loud, but my buddy has the Apexi N1 on his car, and it is loud as fuck compared to my car. You could try trading your exhaust for a quieter one, as I am sure someone wouldn't mind. I just would stay away from those power restricting cats.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
That is a loud muffler. Period. I'd just start with a different muffler. This guy in town had a supercharged 08 civic, race header full cat back and that muffler. Loud as FUCK. He took it off and put some sort of flow master with a straight through design and it was even quieter than that. Hell when he took the muffler off and fired it up you could barely tell he changed anything.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
There coincidentally is a thread open right now discussing how much power somebody lost when he dyno'd before catback and after.

Personally, I run stock exhaust with a 3" cutout (3" downpipe -> cutout -> stock exhaust) and I'm working on wiring it up to open under boost and close when not.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, as he's using the N1 (and I'm assuming without the silencer), it would sound like it had the silencer on unless he's really getting on it.

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
I have the Greddy SP and love it to death. It's quiet around town and have a nice roar when opened up. My only concern is that I think I might be outgrowing it as i'm approaching over 500whp.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
OP, if you're looking for quiet and still powerful, I would entirely recommend the HKS Sport. Great sound, and yet still quite tolerable on the noise level. I drove from Phoenix to Vegas and back in a car with one, couldn't even tell it was aftermarket unless you had the windows down, which is really nice.