Giant monsters and humans exist/existed? this website has an answer

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
hmmm........ neat stuff. Deff photochopped, I mean, how the hell could something that old still be together in the first place? Some of the other stories are neat though.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
yea, thats deff. photochopped but cool. looks like one of those big ass things from Lord of the rings.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Ok guys, here goes. I'm assuming everyone knows the story in the Bible about Noah and the Ark? Anyways, before the flood the earth was a perfect place. Granted people weren't perfect, but the climate was paradise. It didn't rain before the flood, there was an ice or water cover over the earth's atmosphere. This covering gave the earth a greenhouse effect, scientists figure that the temperature was about 72 degrees, and the cover filtered out harmful rays from the Sun. To make my post relevent to thise thread the cover made the air pressure on earth greater than it is now. Because of the increased air pressure oxygen was easier to get. Humans lived alot longer. The oldest man recorded in the Bible was Methuselah(sp*) who lived to be 969 years old. YES nine-hundred sixty nine YEARS. Some archeologist in Ethiopia have found human graves that are over 12 feet long. Plus we all know what dinosaurs are, just big lizards, and since reptiles never stop growing dinosaurs were just old reptiles. So these "giants" could exists.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
So if I walked around 24/7 with an oxygen mask on providing me with more oxygen, I could live much longer. Even to say that I could have lived at least twice the normal expectancy? Eh, I don't know...

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
I highly doubt there is a link between a higher atmospheric pressure and the length of one's life. The fact remains that there was no really effective form of medicine, running water, sewage facilities, etc. The life expectance would have been nowhere near as long as it is now. We are talking about the days of leprosy and plague. Hell, if you cut your leg you were probably going to die from the massive infection that would result. I have heard the rumors on giants and there are some interesting mysteries. However, a couple of facts should be clear.

A) The earth’s atmosphere has never had a water or ice cover. The layer of O3 (Ozone) that rests high up acts as a filter that prevents the majority of UV rays from hitting the surface. The green house effect has always been present, but has mostly been fueled by the eruptions of volcano's and other activity that threw green house gases into the air.
B) The climate was probably similar to modern times (give or take 5 degrees on average) because of the natural green house effect and its causes. Seismic activity is largely responsible for the green house effect and the earth was much hotter in the age of the dinosaurs (about 300 million years before the bible) due to increased seismic activity and ozone levels. Thus, in biblical times (2006 years ago) temperatures would not have been highly different from todays.
C) While giants are supposed to have existed they could not have done so during the times of the dinosaurs because we would have found their bones with the dinosaurs. In fact, even if we didn't find their bones with the dinosaurs we would have found mammalian bones somewhere. It is highly unlikely, if even possibly, that an entire class of creature as complex as a human giant could be hidden from years of searching without even so much as a trace of similar simpler life.

On the other hand, it has been claimed that only giants could have created many of the wonders of the world like the pyramids and stone hedge. These are mysteries with theories that are far more likely then the giant one.

Now, I am always up for new ideas and theories when they have supporting evidence. However, as of late, given the lack of any solid evidence aside from what amounts to hypothesizing, I would tend to believe that there were never Giants on this planet that ever resembled anything as big as that photo chopped fake.

In my completely private opinion I would argue that the giants of biblical times were merely a group of people from a different area of the planet that roamed into another groups land. Remember that the average height of the average human is getting taller and taller as we go into the future. Medieval Italian foot soldiers had an average height of like 5'2" or something ridiculous like that. If someone from a different climate (where a taller species was favored) roamed into the short man's land then it would clearly appear to the short man that he was being invaded by "giants."

Cliff Notes: That theory = SHIT

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
alright guys... i have been attending UCLA now for two years ( MIMG major) and if my studies are correct( which do have proven fallacies), atmosoheric pressure has little to do with age, there are replicator genes which as the name suggests replicates dna, these genes ( hox), over time become imperfect( in extreme cases, cancer) and they slowly become more and more imperfect, therfore, simply put, we age. I dont know much about the atmosphere though.....

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
^^^ you are right about the atmosphere. Having more pressure does not equate to more oxygen. It just means that it is compressed into a smaller space. However, pressure on the surface has more to do with the planet's gravity then the ozone layer.

Also, more oxygen would mean that we would evolve less efficient lungs because our current lungs would be creating too much oxygen then we need. If anything the lungs would get smaller.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
OK, I follow the bible, but I seriously doubt anyone ever reacher 969....... thats just silly......

Anyway, didn't God put a "cap" on how long people could live? I mean, since we're all sinners and stuff.... I wanna say like..... 127....

But I started reading the bible and I got to the part where it was....

"And MDC had 43 children, he then lived another 200 years... and he died...."

and I just gave up......

As far as the giants and that greenhouse effect stuff........ thats just...... that's reaching for something that isn't there, imo....

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Supra Blues said:
So if I walked around 24/7 with an oxygen mask on providing me with more oxygen, I could live much longer. Even to say that I could have lived at least twice the normal expectancy? Eh, I don't know...

srry dude, Pure Oxygen makes u age faster.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
not to make this into a religious debate, but i studied religion as a minor in college, and while i've heard the ice/water barrier theory it doesn't hold up.

it's a nice idea, but the sun is referred to several times in the bible as appearing as it does now, and if there were some sort of barrier, that would not be the case.

there are a few theories as to the long lifespans that are commonly accepted.

1) it is merely symbolic, to show that these men (not everyone lived to be 900, just a select few) were larger than life figures and their influence lasted for a long time, and/or to set them apart from the rest of the people mentioned. this is widely considered to be the actual reasoning behind the high ages

2) some believe that somewhere in translation, someone mixed up a lunar cycle and a solar cycle. thus each year would = 1 month... so 969 would be about 78. highly unlikely, but idiots are everywhere, and since there is no urtext edition of the bible available, it's hard to disprove this. and for those of you wondering why bibles in hebrew wouldn't be correct... perhaps it was translated into say, greek or latin, then translated BACK into hebrew with the mistake, and that was the edition that got spread around.

3) creationists believe that there was some environmental factor (similar to the water/ice barrier) that caused all people to live longer... but not everyone in the bible at the time is depicted as living to even 500... just the select few that were very influential figures in the biblical history. so this doesn't make sense. if i remember correctly, this is part of the Christian Scientist doctrine.

i find all this very interesting. :) yay for keeping me entertained at work.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
D34DC311 said:
srry dude, Pure Oxygen makes u age faster.

Okay, I really have no idea about all this stuff. It just seemed to me that the story said that if you have more oxygen and it is easier to get, you live longer.