Ghetto Leak plugs?

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
Yeah So I got pushed into signing up for a local AutoX here and I really don't think the car will pass tech with my power steering leak.. I already tried Replacing both lines coming off the powersteering tank and that helped for all of one day... what I want to know is... Are there any straight up GHETTO ways to stop the supra's powersteering leak? I thought about getting in there and just coating the pump, tank and EVERYTHING that has to do with powersteering with about 3 cans of plastie-dip.. lol but I wanted to know if you guys have any better ideas.. I just want the damn car to pass tech so I don't have to be the guy sitting and watching all the fun >.> :p Thanks.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Justin;1817804 said:
Fix it right.
Exactly. If you start doing ghetto fixes, your car will end up like mine did when I bought it. I'm still fixing "Ghetto fixes" the previous owner did, and I bought the car over three years ago. Not to mention the safety aspect of driving your car hard and leaking power steering fluid. How do you think tires with PS fluid on them handle, while being autocrossed no less? Fix it right or sit out an event.
-AM3

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not much to it either. There is the feed hose. The pressure hose with copper crush washers. And the return hose.

Besides that the pump or rack could leak.

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
The worst part is I think it IS the pump thats leaking..... cause I changed both upper hose's and the pressure hose doesn't look as though it's leaking... So... Say Friday night just before the autoX I Drain my pump, and disconnect it... can I run the car without any power steering just for that day? I know a guy with an old Z28 who did that, will it work with the supra too?

I'm just stuck on this because I already paid the race fee.. I had just JUST fixed the two upper lines and the it was only leaking a small amount and a buddy who does tech said it would pass autoX tech like that, Then yesterday I'm out and about only to see it back up to no good >.>.... Another thing.... How much is it to rebuild both the pump and the rack? vs say just swapping to the mustang 5.0 rack?

James T

Apr 22, 2011
Adelaide
Try the suction union o ring at the top of the p/s pump. It's the hose that runs directly under the reservoir. $2 O ring. 1 hr of swearing as you take off all the inlet piping to get to it. Replaced all of crush washers until I tracked the leak down.

Last edited: