Getting to play with a 7mgte...

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
I've been looking through the forums here for several months now and recently my friend bought an 88 Turbo!
It's neato!
I like it!
Seriously, I want one, but it's an automatic so I need to start searching on how to tune up the A340E.
As far as the boost guage is concerned though it only gets up to 2 psi. LOL :sarcasm: ............ :1zhelp:

However, my 5m still accelerates faster than it, for now!

Quick question,
If a code 51 is present does that mean we wont be able to do the timing correctly the same way on the MKII Supra you cannot set the timing if the TPS is not adjusted?

Based on this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38775

The CPS does not get set to 0* right? The timing should be set to the right of the spot indicated in that link? 10* BTDC, right?
As of now, the timing is jumping all over the place, I don't think computer control is disabled when shorting the diagnostic ports to check engine codes.
Does the automatic have to be set in 'N' to adjust timing?

Thanks in advance, sorry for noob questions!

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
you set the timing by adjusting the CPS.. the cam gears MUST be aligned with the notches on backing plate... and when they are.. the bottom crank pulley MUST be at 0 degrees.. so TRUE top dead center...

THEN you use the CPS to set the timing after that.. hope it helps... -ryan

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
Yes sir, this is what we did. We replaced the timing belt and set the cams and crank together as per notches/marks but we're having technical difficulties (user error most likely) setting the timing. We'll get there someday. :biglaugh:
I have a timing light with the adjuster knob, with the knob at zero timing on the crank is set to 10. Then I turn the knob until the mark on the crank pulley lines up with 0 and timing it around 14 and bouncing back and forth between 0 and 5. To make matters more confusing, the strobe which represents cylinder 1 is not a smooth and constant strobe, it's an erratic mess. I wonder if it is the cylinder firing funny or the timing light messing up.

Thanks for you help and sorry for the slight ranting going on.