Getting painted right now, fill in lisence plate or not??

rcdsupra

May 15, 2005
Bedford, TX
I'm getting my car painted right now, my question for you guys is should I fill in the lisence plate spot or not?? I saw this on another car and I loved it, only thing is in TX you have to have a front lisence plate on your car, and this is my daily driver. Other question is to cut out the front grill and smooth the sides out. I've been told if I do this it will make the bottom of the bumper sag a little?? Here's a link for what I'm talking about:

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43f8732fzdd6fedbf/4f78/__tn_/cbaare2.jpg?phAYU_DB3jyjcPI4

I found this pic on SF, I just wouldn't have the bottom lip molded in. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RCD

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
over here, they will allow you havign the plate in the front of you dashboard. so hec that if its possible. oh and it usually does make it sag.. mine is slightly sagging...

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I like the lip molded in, and BTW Ryan, they passed the front license plate law in September, where you no longer have to have one on the front. Also, I say no on the filled license plate, I've seen it, don't care for it too much.

Oh my bad, are you talking about front or rear? I was talking about the rear license plate thing getting painted.

-Matt

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Credit goes to Dan McBoost for these awesomely large and beautiful pictures.
You tell me that it looks bad... I don't see how.
Hopefully Dan will browse through here and tell us how it was done.
I remember reading when he said how he did it, but I forget...

_mk3windingtreeroadfront.jpg

_mk3windingtreeroadfrontside.jpg

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Hey local :bigthumb: Living in the DFW area, I would not fill in the plate location. On my cars I run without the front plate, but keep it in the car just incase I get pulled over, and I can say the screws fell out or some other BS like that. I was pulled over once for no front plate, but the cop just used it as an excuse (long story). But without the location, cops won't be so lenient if you are pulled over. Not sure on the lower sag issue, but you could always reinforce it.

(mainly just wanted to say hey to a fellow DFWer)

EDIT:

GotToyota? said:
, they passed the front license plate law in September, where you no longer have to have one on the front.
-Matt

Wow, I did not know this, I change my statement then, fill it in!

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
CryoSlash said:
over here, they will allow you havign the plate in the front of you dashboard. so hec that if its possible. oh and it usually does make it sag.. mine is slightly sagging...

That is incorrect.

They are very anal about that. You WILL get a no plate ticket if you keep the front plate anywhere other than the front bumper. The dashboard/windshield is NOT legal. I was stopped several times for this and the same old bullshit story "ugggh sorry officer the mounting hardware is on order from Toyota Japan..." It is a $110 ticket in Ontario.

If you can take it off an get away with it in Texas then I say you fill it in, use a polyflex filler though so it can bend and not crack.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
GotToyota: Checked it. Gotcha.

Jimi: You could always say that there's nowhere to put it...
"you ain't got no lahsense playt, son"
"well, officer, there's nowhere to put one"
*goes and looks*"well, ah reckon ah can letcha off with a wornang, but ya gotta git that all figgured out, ya hear?"
"yes sir. god bless you sir. god bless you."
lmao...

rcdsupra

May 15, 2005
Bedford, TX
Matt, the law didn't pass, they thought it was going to but it did not. The legislative turned it down. I just wanted to know if I should. It just gives the cops another reason to pull me over. What about the grille guys? I think that it would sag over a little time it just looks so clean!! I did just see the photos of the 2J drag car with it cut out with the stock lisence plate holder and it didn't look so good. I don't know, just trying to get opinions. I have to tell them in the morning on what to do.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
blackout_89t said:
That is incorrect.

They are very anal about that. You WILL get a no plate ticket if you keep the front plate anywhere other than the front bumper. The dashboard/windshield is NOT legal. I was stopped several times for this and the same old bullshit story "ugggh sorry officer the mounting hardware is on order from Toyota Japan..." It is a $110 ticket in Ontario.

If you can take it off an get away with it in Texas then I say you fill it in, use a polyflex filler though so it can bend and not crack.
really? i had it like that on 2 cars so far and not once when they pulled me over did they complain.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
supra90turbo said:
Jimi: You could always say that there's nowhere to put it...
"you ain't got no lahsense playt, son"
"well, officer, there's nowhere to put one"
*goes and looks*"well, ah reckon ah can letcha off with a wornang, but ya gotta git that all figgured out, ya hear?"
"yes sir. god bless you sir. god bless you."
lmao...

Thats pretty close to what happed when I did get pulled over, :biglaugh:
The cop came up from behind. And I saw him checking out all the cars he passed, so I knew someone was going down, I was in the left lane he was in the right, when he got up next to me I went to turn onto my street, he cuts off the car right behind me and flips on his lights, :nono:
I was doing nothing wrong, so when he came to the window and got my info, I yelled (yep): "What! Why did you pull me over!", He looked shocked and started walking around my car, (my door, rear of car, pass door, front of car) When he got to the front I saw a smerck rise on his face,
and he said, "you don't have a front plate".
Me: "There is no bracket for one!",
Cop: "You know where Home Depot is?"
Me: "Yep"
Cop: "Go buy some metal and make one!"
Me: "Alright"
(after sitting in his car for 10min running my info)
Cop: "Have a good day"

Last edited:

rcdsupra

May 15, 2005
Bedford, TX
I don't have that luck with cops!! They just hate me, they run my info and automatically give me a ticket. I got into some heavy racing about 5 years ago!

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
http://vegas.supras.org/v05/showdisplay.asp?image=94

I say fill it in.

Here in Oregon we are supposed to run a front plate too. I took mine off in 96 and counting today I've been pulled over about a dozen times - only a few of those resulted in a ticket. Not a single time did they mention the missing front plate.

IF you do fill it in be sure to use the right stuff for the job. Fiberglass will just crack and fall out with the first cold weather or minor bump.

I used http://www.urethanesupply.com/Merch...uct_Code=2000-C&Category_Code=&Store_Code=URE to fill in the front plate dimple. So far there has been no cracking around the edges.

If you are going to cut out the fins in the nose you will need http://www.urethanesupply.com/Merch...uct_Code=2000-C&Category_Code=&Store_Code=URE to build up the nose again. Then top with the Flex Filler above to sand smooth.

good luck.

KeithH

rcdsupra

May 15, 2005
Bedford, TX
Thanks Keith,

Your car is what motivated me to do this a while back, just now getting to it. IN DFW they will pull you over all the time now. I don't know what they will use at the body shop, I'll ask them tomorrow about this.

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
I've had three supras in four diff. texas cities (San Antonio, Austin, College Station, Houston), and *knock on wood* never been cited for not having a front plate, even when being pulled over for speeding.... ymmv though of course

I was thinking of bending the front plate to not restrict any flow thru grille, but thought that would look terrible so I just chance it

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
CryoSlash said:
really? i had it like that on 2 cars so far and not once when they pulled me over did they complain.

Unfortunately, yup.

Peel police are close to the worst as far as handing out tickets for vehicle modifications...Air filter without an air box (typical k&n cone filter), vented BOV (emissions violation, $300), any sort of emissions tampering for that matter (egr, cats, ect. $300ea), tints, lowering springs, ect. ect. Pretty much anything the officer does not like, its up to his discretion to hand out a ticket. A lot of them are bullshit and would get thrown out in court, but a lot of people don't know this and don't fight the tickets...Aside from the fact our courts are so backed up it takes close to a year for your date to come up...