Getting a new 7m for my Supra

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Well after getting rid of silly aftermarket pulley that was on my car, and putting on a OEM pulley, I suspect my crankshaft is damaged. Upon startup all I hear is this muffled thumping. I have decided to bite the bullet and get another 7m. I would go 2j, but not comfortable with having to pull all the dash off to get to the ECU and main harness to change that along with the motor. I'm not really comfortable with just changing the 7m either, never done one before. On the plus side, it's fairly likely that my current motor will get rebuilt to silly proportions. I would just do it to the new motor, but I need it driveable asap. This way I have time to build up my current motor and maybe learn a little in the process. Planning on goodies from JE,Titan MS, Eagle, and Crower, to give yall a few hints. I'll do pics when the process begins, and I'll be ordering the motor in about a week.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
I don't believe you'd have to pull the whole dash off. I believe the engine harness just needs the 7m body plugs attached and pinned to it so that it can integrate with your cluster. I could be incorrect though. Dr.tweak could make you a pnp harness though.

-Mike

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Aftermarket pulleys on vehciles where the harmonic balancer is built in is a really bad deal. Good for you for taking that POS off. A tear down should always be done before decisions are made, and the Supra should not be the only mode of transportation when you do a rebuild. Taking the engine out isn't so bad. If you had a lift, it comes out in less than 2 hours.

I know some pulley's claim the balance is built in, but time and time again they show to not work well.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
Yea I'm gonna start the tear down this weekend and see what I find. Not sure how much time I will have to work on it though. My neighbor has a lift that I can use and I will consult the TSRM for removal instructions. Y'all wanna see a pic of the POS pulley I pulled off ? If so I will upload a pic, but its fairly graphic lol.