Generic wiring harness

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
So I am going to re-wire my setup. I know Megasquirt has a pretty cheap harness, but it is ment for 4cyl, so I will need to add a couple wires. Not a big deal, but the labeling on the wires would be slightly off. Also it is just that...CHEAP!!

AEM makes one, but it is more on the pricey side. I am looking for something in the middle. I want fully labled 72" loom.

Anyone know a good place for a good price?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
build it yourself

premade will always cost alot of money.

And believe me when I tell you

the AEM harness is actually CHEAP. Wait until you get into the tefzel/mil spec harness with autosport/mil-c-38999 connectors. ;)

2k for harness ALONE. Not including heat shrinking protection by Tyco Electronics DR-25 (known as Raychem prior to the change).

buy your own wire...

tefzel based is fine without going the the lightweight stuff.

http://www.steinair.com/wire.htm

and build away!

Last edited:

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
figgie;1009428 said:
build it yourself

premade will always cost alot of money.

Not pre-made as in plugs. I just want WIRES that are labled ever few inches.

Megasquirt has one for like $75, but it is TOO cheap.

BIG...Yes, like Painless, I couldn't find a price on a generic ENGINE loom.

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Ok, AEM..pricey, Painess...pricey, Megasquirt....too cheap.

How about something int he middle. My drag car will get an AEM harness, but the car this is for is for sale. I don't want to be cheap, but I don't want to spend that much on it either.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
just build it yourself. :)

Seriously. :)

say that you can use 16 gauge for everything.

at .25 a foot. You can get 100 feet for $25.00. That is enough to run 10 x 10feet section for whatever it is you are running. It will not get more inexpensive for a higher quality wire than that!

umm I am looking at the megasquirt harness sold by DIYAutotune.

the price is inexpensive but that is a good quality connector (AMP) using D-Sub pins. The only thing is the automotive grade wiring..... but that harness does not look bad at all?

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
figgie;1009441 said:
just build it yourself. :)

Seriously. :)

say that you can use 16 gauge for everything.

at .25 a foot. You can get 100 feet for $25.00. That is enough to run 10 x 10feet section for whatever it is you are running. It will not get more inexpensive for a higher quality wire than that!

Will it be labled?

And say I did build it myself, where could I get it...A different color for every wire, with a good oil resistant insulation. I know there are several grades of insulation, and how there are a few different types with different chemical bonds that work better for automotive.

I have a friend that picked up a MS harness. It didn't look too bad, I am just concerned about the price. Why is MS $75 and AEM is $600+, other than because it is brand name.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
dude

you see that website I posted?

That is AVIATION grade wiring. Known as ETFE (Tefzel is a Dupont Trademark) in the aerospace industry :) That stuff is resistant to most things an airplane throws at it. Those guys carry colours uponor colours of this stuff.

as for labeling.

Tape, marker, and assign colors to pins/functions. Done. Or use Excel spread sheet. That is how I make my harness.

SuperRunner

Jun 14, 2007
utah
Ahh, didn't see the link.

The MS didn't look cheap, it just IS cheap(price). I don't know how well it will hold up to the elements. And the ignition/knock sensors are not shielded.

I will look into just getting a bunch of wire vs labeled. The labeled just makes it easier.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
+1 for building the harness. I have been wanting to do this for a while (slightly intimidated) but at some point soon i want to tackle it. I don't know why, but it does seem like almost all of the aftermarket harnesess use cheap ass wire.

sidenote: last year I bought a wiring harness for my MBZ Kompressor (small fire)...$2200, if that puts in perspective.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
MS harness is just sheilded in a generic cheap plastic wrap. Nothing like a millspeed connector harness or anything. I have the MS harness for my MS system and it is good wire but nothing really special. Basically you will be using the colors more then the labels for running it. Get the MS, buys some Raychem shrink wrap, heat wrap and a nice crimping set-up. Also you can get connectors reasonably cheap from motec and pinning tools to from them as well and pins. Personally after seeing the Motec operation at Motec East and watching them work they are not doing that hard of stuff just have the right tools!

HTH,
Seth

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sethron71;1009755 said:
Personally after seeing the Motec operation at Motec East and watching them work they are not doing that hard of stuff just have the right tools!

HTH,
Seth

It is always, regardless if it is crimping or taking a bolt off. About having the correct TOOLS.

As for MoTeC and connector pricing... they use the Autosport connectors which only Deutch LTD out of the UK make so the prices are HIGH. Add MoTeC to the thing and the prices become STUPID. No I am not kidding ;)

X-Referenced to the REAL Mil-Spec series connectors of the same configuration from , things change as now the list grows to

AMPHENOL CONNECTORS
AERO ELECTRIC CONNECTOR INC.
PYLE-NATIONAL CONNECTORS
SOCAPEX
DEUTSCH LTD <---- Autosport connectors AND MIL-Spec C
FCI ELECTRONICS
ITT CANNON
VEAM
AMERICAN MICRO PRODUCTS, INC.
GLENAIR INC.
HERMETIC SEAL CORPORATION
HI REL CONNECTORS INC.
SEALTRON INC.

Quite a bit price difference too when there is more than one company manufactuing them ;)

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
why do you want to make your own harness if your just going to sell the car? you can get a new harness that matches the car for under $500... somebody said they got one from champion toyota for like $350...