GE to GTE swap question.. URGENT!

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
whatsup guys im in the middle of swapping in my used 7MGTE and im going to be using the GE tranny, so i got a aftermarket spec clutch and GTE flywheel all ready to go.. and now im stuck. i cannot get the old release bearing off the hub so i can install the new bigger bearing for the clutch. i've gone to levines' and napa and they say its a 50/50 chance the bearing could be switched but theyre unsure it will hold up because theres a slight size difference. so my question is for you guys who have done the SAME swap or just have infinite knowledge.. how can i get past this and install the new release bearing?????? thanks

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
thats why... you can't use the GTE flywheel with clutch setup with the GE transmission.

The GE uses a push style clutch, the GTE uses pull.

So you either need to use the GE flywheel with clutch setup or buy a GTE's transmission

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
ohh okay i gotchya guys. i'll hold onto that SPEC clutch for the future when i get money for mods i will get that R154, but for now i just want it started and running smoothly. so the stock GE flywheel and clutch should work on the swap with no problems right??

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
It will work, but dont expect the stock GE clutch setup to hold much more than stock power. I'm doing a GTE swap now and am currently looking at clutch options. You'll need an upgraded clutch for the w58 to hold anything past 250 ftlbs or so.

Or just go REALLY easy on it. But I'm guessing you didn't get a gte swap to "go easy" on it. ;) I know that's not my plan. :)

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
yehh im going with the stock GE clutch, i plan on getting the motor in by tomorrow. when i want more power im going to have to get the r154 but yeh haha im not goin easy on her either man

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I did this exact thing. Except rebuilt the W58 and put in a stage 3.... Do it right and make sure you do not use a standard clutch kit behind the gte. I had a new clutch (3000miles.) that was destroyed in 4 days ( no launching, boost on freeways). on the W58 use the ge flywheel, ect like stated above.

EDIT: oh and I have beaten to hell this tranny and she has held fine for years. Idk how people "blow" theirs. Could be a combination of not knowing how to drive stick properly as well as abuse and miscare, ect... (take care of your shit)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im using an NA spec stage 3 6 puck sprung clutch with my w58/w58 flywheel and 7mgte with stock boost/intake/exhaust and i have no slipping problems at all. The clutch pedal feels almost stock as well, though i do have some chatter sometimes on engagement.