GE-GTE Swap woes

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So. I've pretty much come to the wiring stage for the swap.. I figured everything would plug right in... :nono: Only one plug under the dash plugs in, and theres two plugs that are coming from under the fusebox that go to nothing, along with a 6 pin connector that isn't the same as the 6 pin connector on the harness..

So do I just cut the plugs off my old harness and wire them into the new harness? Match up the wire colors, solder, shrink wrap?

I need to get this car done in two weeks for prom, so any help is very very appreciated :naughty:

I'll post pictures of the plugs in question in about 10 minutes.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
The plugs in question

Body harness plugs

p1828549_1.jpg

Corresponding harness plugs

p1828549_2.jpg

The smallest one does actually plug in...

Six pin plug by fuse box

p1828549_3.jpg

Corresponding harness plug (dunno what else it would go to...)

p1828549_4.jpg

Two plugs that I cant find a plug for on the harness.
p1828549_5.jpg

And yes, those of you with a good eye, I don't have the engine in. At this point I'm making sure of all of my connections so when I go to drop the engine in it's smooth as silk.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So where do the A/C fans plug in? I checked my old harness and there aren't connectors for them..

I get the C1 plug now, but how do I match up the body plugs? That link only has the yellow plug and grey plug, not the two different kinds of grey plug plugs..

EDIT: According to that page, the B3 connector handles mostly ABS functions, so would that be the reason I am missing it, as my car has no ABS?

And suprarx7nut, its a 90 body, but I dunno the p/n for the harness.. I can get it tomorrow.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's also has pps on it as well as abs.

Need to verify the wire colors and position on plug. That link is all you need to verify. I have had all year harness so idk what they all look like. But 90+ had air bag and 89/90/91-92 all had different connector shapes. But I wouldn't go solely off wire colors as there could be some differences between auto/manual. Iirc only a couple.

If you dot know where it goes look for it on the harness and if you still arnt sure use a ohm meter and ohm the 2 sides to verify. Should be about .4ohms per wire iirc.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
But see, that page you linked only matches the body side connectors. I don't know what does what on the harness side. And I also don't know what the wide white plug is for.. it only has two wires going to it, but the connector in my old n/a harness has 6 iirc

Sorry if I'm asking to be spoon fed, I just absolutely hate wiring right now haha

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Backlash2032;1828544 said:
So. I've pretty much come to the wiring stage for the swap.. I figured everything would plug right in... :nono: Only one plug under the dash plugs in, and theres two plugs that are coming from under the fusebox that go to nothing, along with a 6 pin connector that isn't the same as the 6 pin connector on the harness..

So do I just cut the plugs off my old harness and wire them into the new harness? Match up the wire colors, solder, shrink wrap?

I need to get this car done in two weeks for prom, so any help is very very appreciated :naughty:

I'll post pictures of the plugs in question in about 10 minutes.
Not to sound like a Debbie downer, but if you try to rush a project like this in 2 weeks, you are asking for trouble. Maybe if you had done this before and sorted out all of these problems once, it would be doable in that time frame, but in your case, you should take your time and make sure you get it right. The last thing you want is to be leaving prom with your date, get in your car, and it won't start because of a wiring issue.

As for your issues, I'm not as familiar with all years/styles of wiring harness, so I'm not much help there.
-AM3

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Ended up refurbing my other gte harness.. didn't even check the connectors because I thought it was just trash.

Turns out its better than my other harness and has the correct connectors!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Just putting this out there teens and sportcars dont mix. Fast cars and even faster owner can leed to MK3 disaster. Also like other posts have said, limmiting yourself to such a small time frame is never a good idea. Even if it does get running, you still need to make sure everything is how it should be... i.e. the engine doesnt leak (and dont think something as obvious as that isnt missed), or the turbo is boosting as much as it should be. or most importantly youve wired something incorrectly now youre car is :(

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Maple191;1828799 said:
Just putting this out there teens and sportcars dont mix. Fast cars and even faster owner can leed to MK3 disaster. Also like other posts have said, limmiting yourself to such a small time frame is never a good idea. Even if it does get running, you still need to make sure everything is how it should be... i.e. the engine doesnt leak (and dont think something as obvious as that isnt missed), or the turbo is boosting as much as it should be. or most importantly youve wired something incorrectly now youre car is :(

I know I'm on a very short time frame, but with the wiring completed (took my time and made sure everything was correct when I refurbed my other harness) its mostly just bolt things together. There's only a few things that you can really go wrong with. But I will double and even triple check that I have things right, and will be following the TSRM every step of the way. I'm hoping to have the engine in by the end of this weekend, and then the rest of the week can be spent breaking it in and checking if theres anything wrong with it.

Or diagnosing a no start.. Hopefully it won't come to that..

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@Backlash: Well, with a '90 chassis, at least you know that the chassis side of things follows the wiring diagram from the online TSRM. Looks like you've got an '89 harness to me. The '89 harness is grey plug, but fits with the '87 and '88 style of things better, EXCEPT for the ABS function connectors, which are (I gather) the same as the '90-'92 harnesses, but the engine side connectors on the '89 harness are the same as the newer ones. (All second-hand knowledge, take it for what it's worth.)

Basically, you need to get a '90-'92 harness and ECU, then it should be plug 'n play.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Dan_Gyoba;1831768 said:
@Backlash: Well, with a '90 chassis, at least you know that the chassis side of things follows the wiring diagram from the online TSRM. Looks like you've got an '89 harness to me. The '89 harness is grey plug, but fits with the '87 and '88 style of things better, EXCEPT for the ABS function connectors, which are (I gather) the same as the '90-'92 harnesses, but the engine side connectors on the '89 harness are the same as the newer ones. (All second-hand knowledge, take it for what it's worth.)

Basically, you need to get a '90-'92 harness and ECU, then it should be plug 'n play.

I used two 89+ harnesses and they worked fine on my 90 NA chassis. One needed some re-arrangement in an ECU connector, but I think that was the PO's doing. OP: probably worth checking your wires at the ECU end against a wiring manual. The one posted publicly is for an 89. Might want to buy one on ebay for a 90.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Actually have a 91-92 harness.

And no. Its not running. Napa fucked me over on oil pump drive bearings I was supposed to get a week ago. So I'm taking my dads Monte carslow...

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Slick Nick;1832868 said:
Ah the good ol days, worrying about what ride youre gonna take to prom .... on a plus side, does the monte have a bench seat :biglaugh: ???

Lol, no. I wish. It's an '03 though. Most people would think its a nicer car than the Supra sadly..