Gauging Interest in Cheaper Forged Piston Option

Supraguy88t

DFWSupras
Apr 5, 2005
Dallas, TX
First of all Many of you know me from the other forum. I was one of the first few members on this board back when it first started. I contribute more on the other forum at the moment though. Basically what I'm trying to say is that my 3 post are not really accurate to my MkIII involment and many people know me and can vouch for me. Well due to the other forum's stricter rules about group buys and such I figured this would be a more appropriate place for this post.

..... Pure and simply there will soon be a dominantly domestic forged piston company coming out with an import line of pistons made out of the same 2618-T61 aluminum alloy that the popular Ross and JE pistons use and they will be offering them for the 7M-GTE along with 2JZ-GTE, 4A-GE, and 3S-GTE. They will be offering them in .020 and .040 over sizes with 8.4:1 compression. What I need from you guys is to see what kind of interest there is for an initial batch of 15-20 sets to be .020 over and priced at about $400 for a set of 6 forged pistons, wrist pins, locks and rings. If you are in the market for such a product please let it be known so that I can get the ball rolling for production. I will fill in more details later ..... There needs to be an initial $10,000 buy in so I just need to see what the demand is going to be there.

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Wow! I don't visit SupraForums, so I sort of forgot about you!
Hope you come around here more often....
Which brand is this?

Supraguy88t

DFWSupras
Apr 5, 2005
Dallas, TX
Dont forget about me! LOL .... Like I said I will fill in other details later. I'm still trying to keep some of the cat in the bag ;) I just need to see an interest for the product to invest in it.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Christian is a great guy and well into the supra game! check out ron r.s mani to see his car and what hes done. he is the dfw guru that is on par with many of the great names out there... plus he works on my car...so that says something ;)

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Supraguy88t said:
because it's alot easier to match a bore to a pistons and not try to match a piston to a bore. so 83.5mm and 84mm it is.

Exactly. You need to match the bore size to the piston to ensure proper wall clearance. Forged pistons expand more than cast pistons, so you have to be very precise with the bore size or you'll encounter bind or excessive piston slap. Doing forged pistons in stock size is not a good idea as you're just gambling with the clearances.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
can they do diff compression ratios?i want 9:1. i dont like ross pistons, too heavy. i was gonna get the 9:1 wiseco's. they also have shorter skirts then the ross pistons. would these be the same exact specs as the ross? or shorter skirt? what wil they weigh? and what thickness rings will they use?

Supraguy88t

DFWSupras
Apr 5, 2005
Dallas, TX
born2drv said:
I might be interested depending on final price and brand/quality of product. I'd probably get the larger bore.

The same aluminum alloy used in the JE's and Ross pistons is used by these pistons. As for price ... it will remain very close to $400 the highest that I see it going is $450 but I see it more along $420 or so.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
Supraguy88t said:
The same aluminum alloy used in the JE's and Ross pistons is used by these pistons. As for price ... it will remain very close to $400 the highest that I see it going is $450 but I see it more along $420 or so.

Ya I'm sure they are made of good alloys, etc.... I just want to know the background info on the company, etc and what their other customers have had to say about them. Its like buying an 18K gold bracelet or something. Sure it's made of solid 18K gold, but if it's cast or polished poorly, then you won't be satisfied with it ;)

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I bought new JE's for $425ish shipped off of Ebay. :icon_bigg

With that said, it would depend on the company. Just because they're made from the same material doesn't make them a suitable part. If said company has a history of holding tight tolerances, I would consider using them, but I wouldn't if they don't.

my .02

Supraguy88t

DFWSupras
Apr 5, 2005
Dallas, TX
rakkasan said:
I bought new JE's for $425ish shipped off of Ebay. :icon_bigg

With that said, it would depend on the company. Just because they're made from the same material doesn't make them a suitable part. If said company has a history of holding tight tolerances, I would consider using them, but I wouldn't if they don't.

my .02

$425 is a steal ... but I'm sure it was an opportunity thing. This would be a set price for whenever people needed them they would be on hand. The pistons are good quality. I've talked to some local machine shops that use them in their domestic motors and say they are a great piston. I'll provide more details are they are available. thanks for the interest and anyone else that is interested please speak up.

Alpinesupra

Cars never talk back
Apr 6, 2005
mckinney, tx
christian as u already know i am down for a set and i probably will be the first guy running them in a 7m motor at least for sure hear in the dfw area, i know the company and have been working with the c-man on getting my bottom end built and ive also talked to some local mechine shop (4 to be exact) and they say its a great company and they work very very well and hold up well.

christian or I(christian probably will be first) will realise more info as we get it and as more intrest comes in ok guys.

thanks
-sean