Gauge wiring question

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
I am in the middle of installing my AEM boost and UEGO gauges and am unsure where to wire them. There was a really good write up but I have been unable to find it. I have seen several people say that they can be wired into the cigarette lighter and I like that as it would be easy to work on and to undo if I ever want to. The gauges need 12v power (red wire), Ground (black wire), Switched 12v power (pink wire), and instrument lights (Grey). The lighter has Positive 12v acc key (blue/red wire), Ground (white/black), Illumination 12v live w/ side lights (green wire), and Illumination bulb ground (white/green).

Now can I just tie in my red and pink wire to the cigarette blue/red wire? or do I need a separate 12v non switched source for the red?
The black wire would go to the cigarette white/black.
The grey wire to the cigarette green (illumination) wire? or should I use the 12v power for the little bulb in the ashtray as I believe that is off the dimmer?

Thanks for any help. I can't really check some of this as my dash is mostly apart and I don't have a battery in the car atm.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You want a 12V constant in addition to the switched 12V wiring. I made a make-shift terminal block out of a 10 pin connector set for both accessory and constant 12V to feed my gauges and anything else that will need 12V. You can get the signal from a wire under your dash (above your feet), in the driver's kick panel, or behind the stereo.

Looking at the TEWD might help.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=128

If you want the gauge to dim with your lights (a classy feature) you'll need to tap into the White-Green wire (white with a green stripe) shown here coming off the light control rheostat:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=62

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Another option I have is to use the gauge cluster as it is off while I swap in a voltmeter where the stock boost gauge was. I see a place for power which I assume is 12v constant, ign+ which I assume would work for the switched 12v, and earth which I could use for ground. Is that all correct so far? If so is there any way to pick up the dimmer from back there? If not I'll use the white/green wire off the rheosrat.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Get some add a fuses for switched and constant power, tap into the radio harness for the dimmer, and then ground them somewhere. Done.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Thanks for all of the help. My gauges are working and dimming perfectly. They and my pillar pod are now finally mounted up and looking good.