Gauge Cluster on 7mgte fries by touching it?

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
ok I was gathering some of my questions before this thread got closed so guess Ill just have to start a thread so please dont flame if this was already answered, and yes I tried search, heres what I wanted to post pretaining to this thread if it doesnt work let me know and Ill write out what I wanted to ask thanks guys.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57817

hey i kinda got the same situation, so if you touch that green circuit paper crap on the back of the cluster it fries it out? cause ive notice ever since I did some gauge swaps the rpm gauage has been actin really werid, says 1,000rpm is 0rpm and I can go all the way to 8,000 rpms before I bounce of the rev limiter so I kinda was wondering wtf is up with that, and will malfunctioning gauges throw codes, I never actually saw an answer here. thought Id ask around before I go start a thread and get flammed. haha thanks guys

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Well with in the past couple of days i have been pretty damn ruff with the flexable circut board on the back of the cluster and about 1/4 of the end towards the charging system check light is not touching the white part, but anyway the flexable circut board is pretty damn tuff and unless you cut some of the circut baord you "should" be fine.:biglaugh:

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
haha ok thanks thats what I thought just makin sure it not contributing to my code 52 and yes I did the rewire twice and no luck so I got a bad sensor, o well doesnt matter my 7m is about to call it quits anyday now lol

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
static electricity will do it. anti-static wrist straps ftw :p use them when working with electronics in your car and when throwing a computer together

did you put a turbo gauge in a non turbo car? or vice versa?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
No, handling the green plastic on the back of the gauge cluster will not damage it at all. Like tlo86 said, static could potentially damage one of the components in the clusters parts (tach, fuel gauge, etc), but that is also highly unlikely.

Almost none of the gauges will ever cause a code to be thrown though, and if they did (speed sensor), it would not be a code 52.

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
thanks guys no its a original turbo supra and I have an aftermarket boost gauge but its wired near the cluster, maybe I accidently effed my rpm gauge up when taking it out to replace the face o well they are only like 13 bucks at the junk yard for the whole cluster so i might just get another one haha, thanks everybody

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
lppro said:
your needle is off. carefully pry it off when everything is off and put it back on correctley. it may take a cupple trys. i did the same thing.

I already did that twice and no dice, i notice around 3,000 rpms the needles starts bookin it across the gauge but Im not actually bookin it haha, I I think its some what effed up, and I leave the neddle a little above 0 rpms when its of and it still read maybe 100 rpms whan idiling so idk anymore just gonna have to get a new cluster.