Gauge Cluster compatibility

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
Hello fellow members it has been some time since my last thread. I did a search and after reading through many pages and starting to see static snow on the screen because i was getting tired, could find nothing on this. Mind you I am not saying that it is not on our forums someplace already and I am a bit rusty.

My question; Is a oem 1991 turbo cluster going to be a direct plug n play with no modifications fit into my 1988 turbo? Also on that note is there a difference between the auto/manual turbo clusters?

I appreciate any information or direction on this subject and thank you.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I cant say for sure, but I think early model dashes are essentially the same as late. As long as you are trading an NA early for an NA late model, or turbo early for turbo late, you should be ok.
The auto has an ECT light and maybe an O/D off. If you use an NA tach in a turbo, you need to change out 3 resistors on the tach's circuit board.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I believe they are different some how. My buddy had issues with a newer one with the temp and oil pressure gauges.

Its will bolt in and plug in no problem tho,

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
supraguy@aol;2019882 said:
I cant say for sure, but I think early model dashes are essentially the same as late. As long as you are trading an NA early for an NA late model, or turbo early for turbo late, you should be ok.
The auto has an ECT light and maybe an O/D off. If you use an NA tach in a turbo, you need to change out 3 resistors on the tach's circuit board.

Thanks for the added information. I'm still doing some research on this also.

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
hvyman;2019941 said:
I believe they are different some how. My buddy had issues with a newer one with the temp and oil pressure gauges.

Its will bolt in and plug in no problem tho,

Would you be able to find out a bit more from you friend? As in what caused the issue, was it circuit, switch or resistor problems? I ask because I wanting to update the lighting in mine and want a working one in while it is out being upgraded/updated. Thanks again Hnyman you have always been on it.