Gasket Question - 1JZ Non VVTI Twin Turbo

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
A little back story here, but I now own Mattjk's red supra and yes it is still smoking. The PO didn't fix the problem, however he did buy a used set of turbos from BIC in Vancouver but never got around to installing them. I'm going to swap the turbos this winter however I am not sure what gaskets I need to purchase or which can be reused. I'm doing it as a stop gap measure until I know which single turbo I want to go with. I'd consider fixing/upgrading the twins, but I'm still waiting for someone who's upgraded their twins to post a dyno sheet.

From what I've been able to find out so far, I can buy a CT-26 turbo gasket kit as it contains the water and oil gaskets (probably need two of them actually, one kit for each turbo?). Beyond that I'm not sure what the other gaskets are that I need to buy or whether they can be reused.

I think I need to buy this gasket from Driftmotion, however not sure if the one in place can be reused?:
http://www.driftmotion.com/1JZ-GTE-non-vvti-Exhaust-Manifold-Gasket-2pc-p/dm3109.htm

I'm also a bit confused about the following areas:

1. Turbo(s) to manifold gasket(s): Can these be reused? I have not seen them sold anywhere. If I need to purchase, is this gasket identical to any other Toyota turbo gasket used on another model car (i.e. 2JZ, 7M)? I've heard you can spray these gaskets with copper spray and reuse them as long as they aren't ruined from removing the turbos.

2. From some blown up pictures I've seen, it looks like the twin turbo manifold is attached to the head through a two step process or in other words, there is a removable piece between the turbo manifold and the head (so a gasket on either side of this piece). Am I correct in this or am I imagining things? :icon_bigg

Thanks for the help!

The "how to" I'm going to use for doing the swap is this link:
http://www.thepointnet.com/Lenticular/Turbo/

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
The picture the PO sent me.
p2036837_1.jpg

One of Mattjk's photos.

p2036837_2.jpg

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Yeah I believe the link in my post is to the manifold gasket. I will try and post a pic that shows the piece between the manifold and the head I referenced in my first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Here's the part I'm wondering about. Driftmotion sells the one gasket that attaches to the head, but the three bolt one I'm not sure about?

enginbay.jpg

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Ok, that's good to know. Hvyman, have you removed and reinstalled your turbos before? Got any tips? I heard it is a PITA. I'm looking forward to the results, but not much else haha.

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
I'm embarking on the same thing you are experiencing.

1. Turbo manifold gaskets can be purchased from drift motion for about $30 a pair.
2. Turbo to manifold gaskets have a metal "O." I tried to order some from green source but to no avail. My understanding is that they come in the turbo rebuild kit that is costly. I reused them and used copper spray.
3. I reused my midpipe gaskets ("y" between the turbos). Clean them off with a wire wheel and used brake clean to get them clean. I then spray copper spray on each face of the gasket.
4. The individual turbo inlet and outlet gaskets also come in the turbo rebuild kit. I reused mine but put a very thin coat of grey silicone.
5. Turbo oil drain and water inlet gaskets can be purchased on ebay.

I have yet to start the engine so I won't know how well they seal.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
That's great detail Sammy thank you. Can you let me know if you have any problems please? I am curious how it turns out, hopefully well!
I need to tackle this some time soon but waiting for my ECU to be repaired first. Got a blown capacitor. I'm super curious what HP numbers the upgraded stock twins will make. Because I have a spare set, I'm debating upgrading them. If they'd do over 400ish RWHP, I'd likely go that route, but I have yet to see a DYNO sheet by someone who has these upgraded turbos installed.

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
I rebuilt my own turbos and sent the compressor shaft and turbine wheel to have balanced. Total including new seals and balancing service was around 300. I'd figure I'll run stock for now and upgrade to a single later. I saw Alberts post, his prices seem reasonable but at that price, a single would be a better investment imo

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
You should still be able to special order the gasket kit.
04175-46010
And
16347-42020