Gas tank door

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
Guys and Gals, I've tried searching the forums but either I'm not wording my search correctly or this issue hasn't been addressed. So, my problem was that my latch was broken and I've replaced the latch and there is plenty of cable to fully retract the catch when the lever by the driver's seat is pulled. My problem is that when I pull the lever the fuel door doesn't pop open. Is there supposed to be some type of spring or tension mechanism near the hinge? Any ideas (especially those with pics) would be great! Thanks.

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
suprabob;1168756 said:
Guys and Gals, I've tried searching the forums but either I'm not wording my search correctly or this issue hasn't been addressed. So, my problem was that my latch was broken and I've replaced the latch and there is plenty of cable to fully retract the catch when the lever by the driver's seat is pulled. My problem is that when I pull the lever the fuel door doesn't pop open. Is there supposed to be some type of spring or tension mechanism near the hinge? Any ideas (especially those with pics) would be great! Thanks.

There is a small plastic clip made a little like a clothes pin which keeps tension on the door to make it open when the cable is pulled, also gives slight resistance against you when you shut it. Without this part intact, one would have to have another person pry open on the door at the same time the cable is pulled. If you want to send me your email address I will send you a pic of one, so you can tell if yours is missing.

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
too_stand;1168757 said:
There is a small plastic clip made a little like a clothes pin which keeps tension on the door to make it open when the cable is pulled, also gives slight resistance against you when you shut it. Without this part intact, one would have to have another person pry open on the door at the same time the cable is pulled. If you want to send me your email address I will send you a pic of one, so you can tell if yours is missing.

Thanks exactly the kind of information and advice I was looking for. I thought something was missing, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere and I've tried to fabricate something on my own but I'm not sure of the dimensions or placement. If you could send a picture that would be great! My email address is tundrabob@msn.com. If you don't mind, I would probably post the pic on here so that anyone else who is having the same issue could have it as a reference. Thanks for the quick reply and all the help!

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i had the same problem... i thought the cable was just stretched out. i got tired of opening the trunk and pulling the cable manually. what i did was just put a zip tie around the cable between the sleeve and the end of the cable. fixed the problem. sorry cant describe it better
-pete

suprabob

Sep 10, 2008
Newport, RI
Just be careful not to over tighten the screws when you put them back in. Trust me, they'll strip easy. Good luck.

Andre-2;1173757 said:
Thanks for the pic suprabob I had the same problem since I had my fuel door replaced. Now I can fix it easily.:icon_bigg