gas mileage

Drunkendonuts

Feb 16, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
hey all, I've done some searching on this topic, cant seem to find what im looking for. Car is a 1990 supra turbo. I get really bad gas mileage, like maybe 10mpg, when I run the car I get a fuel smell in the cabin, also it idles around 1200rpm. anyone have any info on what this is?

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
Drunkendonuts said:
hey all, I've done some searching on this topic, cant seem to find what im looking for. Car is a 1990 supra turbo. I get really bad gas mileage, like maybe 10mpg, when I run the car I get a fuel smell in the cabin, also it idles around 1200rpm. anyone have any info on what this is?

car throwing codes?

CACressida

The Cressida Whore!
Feb 19, 2007
Modesto, CA
Jump E1-TE1 under the hood on the driver side strut tower. Stick a paper clip in there, then go sit down inside the car with all accessories off and put the key in the "on" position. The Check engine light will blink. You count how many times it blinks. For example:

[] [] [] [] [] *pause* [] [] <== Thats code 52. If your ECU is throwing multiple codes, then it'll be something like this:

[] [] [] *pause* [] [] *pause* [] [] [] [] [] *pause* [] <== This means its throwing two codes, 32 and 51. It takes a while because you have to count them over and over to make sure you only get the one or two or three plus codes. If it keeps throwing one code over and over, or two codes over and over, then obviously, those are your only two codes.

Then again, you only check for codes if your check engine light (CEL) is on. If your engine is idling at 1200rpm, I think your TPS might be out of adjustment. Good luck.

Drunkendonuts

Feb 16, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
oh ok, no check engine light is coming on though, I do have an exhaust leak that I need to fix I hear its pretty standard though, just gotta wait for dry weather. Thanks for the replies.

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
check your fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure damper for leaks. My fuel pressure damper (the one close to the firewall on the fuel rail) leaked and I smelled fuel in the cabin...

Drunkendonuts

Feb 16, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
just moved the car and I noticed a rainbow underneath the engine, I dont think its fuel, probably oil, God damnit I dont have the money to get this fixed. :3d_frown:

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
No idea on your problem but my 90 turbo with an AT tranny and 3 nch turbo back exhaust, intake, and manual boost controller at 10psi is getting 18 to 19 in town and 24 to 27 hwy, not too shabby

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Where is the exhaust leak? If it is at or near the exhaust manifold, that will cause you to run rich.

The reason is simple. You have false air entering the system, and the oxygen sensor reads it, and riches accordingly to keep the cat running properly. Eventually, a code for lean will be set.

That is, if the leak is near the oxygen sensor.

Drunkendonuts

Feb 16, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
I wonder if thats the problem......that would make perfect sense..... it seems to have started after the exhaust leak got worse. Yeah its where most exhaust leaks come from on the 7mgte, Ive got the helicoil fix for it, just have to get a good dry day to get out there and do it.