GA70 9k tach on 1JZ, help

hockysa

Hey Forum,

I'm interested in purchasing a GA70 dash cluster with the 9k tacho. Although it peoples responses seem hit and miss whether it's plug and play or not. The tacho will be from a 1G-GTE and will apparently just work, but I've seen threads of people struggling to get it to work bot here on SM and SF.com.au.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Benjamin

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Prolly uses a tach signal like the 7mge since it has a distributor. Might need a tach adapter like what some of the n/a guys do instead of buying the gte tach. I forget who makes them unfortunality. I know msd makes one but iirc its rather over priced.

GN_Convert

Nov 19, 2010
Florida
Driftmotion has them, it was something like 80 bucks. I have also seen online instructions how you can make your own with a transistor and resistor, but I found it easier to just buy it. It works great with my stock tach. The only thing is, the 1JZ redlines at 7500 RPM, but my tach redline starts at 6000.

hockysa

hvyman;1719027 said:
Prolly uses a tach signal like the 7mge since it has a distributor. Might need a tach adapter like what some of the n/a guys do instead of buying the gte tach. I forget who makes them unfortunality. I know msd makes one but iirc its rather over priced.

the 7M-GE tach works by changing three resistors. Wish I could see a pic of the Ga70 tach and compare the component layout on the pcb