Full face clutch suggestions please

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
So last night I went to the drag strip and ended up hurting my clutch a bit to the point where it's starting to slip when I hit boost, so I want to upgrade to a stronger clutch but maintain the stock feel of a full face. I have a Fidanza flywheel and stock pressure plate, would I have to upgrade my pressure plate when I change to a stronger clutch or is it just better to do so to have more bite? Main question is what full face clutch should I get?

Mods:
550CC Injectors
Lexus AFM
3in divorced downpipe, soon a catback
Blitz Boost Controller at 12 psi

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
If you're going to be drag racing more, a steel flywheel is a better option than an AL unit- they stand up to the heat of the launch better and hold more inertial energy for the launch. 'Feramic' clutch material often welds itself to AL flywheel inserts (you can't disengage the clutch when that happens) iirc, Spec makes a steel/chromoly, can't remember.

As for clutch, I had a Spec stage 3+, which is a full-faced unit that was really nice. Only caveat is that the spec pressure plate has straps which can be a liability at times- I'd like to see if the SPEC 3+ disc can be used with a South bend strapless Pressure plate, would be a cool combo.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't plan on doing a lot of drag racing this was my first time ever doing it but I would like to go once every blue moon and such it was really fun. Also I want something that can handle more power than I have, so I am looking for a clutch that can handle 400+hp or tq if that is what they rate them by. I remember reading different things about Spec but usually the bad things were from Honda owners not Supra owners.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Personally I never had an issue with the 3+, until I tried to no-lift shift at ~550hp in which case it would slip at ~1/2 clutch life. I have heard horror stories about clutch straps breaking and killing bellhousings, but have yet to see it in person. No idea what influences that kind of failure, though.

Steel flywheel also helps to make the car more street friendly, which is something my car currently lacks :(