Full 87 Turbo rebuild from rolling shell

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Here are a few pictures of my most recent build of an 87 hardtop rolling shell I purchased. Drivetrain was from my 88 Turbo that just had way to many issues. I decided to start with a clean slate, which turned out to not be as clean as I anticipated...

Old gray 88
Terrible faded paint all over
Rust in all the usual spots
Ugly maroon interior
Dash crack resembled the Grand Canyon
LSD destroyed and grinded very loud
6 puck clutch noisy on take off, starting to slip

New black 87 good
New black pearl paint
Blue interior
Nice dash

New black 87 bad
Paint work has some flaws
AC condenser and hard lines removed
Interior was poorly spray painted a lighter blue in some places
Turn signals, fogs, side markers all poorly painted over with black paint

I decided to continue on with the project and dug deeper into the new car

First nice surprise... Instead of just unscrewing the fitting on the ac lines they decided to cut the lines at the firewall on the evaporator side. So no big deal I'll swap the evaporator from the 88 in.

Second surprise... New evaporator in, I started with the ac hard lines and condenser. Once installed I realized I couldn't find some plugs on the engine bay body wiring harness.... Hmmm.... So when they removed the ac stuff I guess they didn't like all the extra plugs and decided to clip them all off from the harness. Sigh. So I pulled the front body harness from the old car and swapped it in. Fun fun fun

Third surprise... Start investigating around the dash and I notice some extra connectors around the fuse box and dash not connected to anything. I went to plug them in where they go and the same exact plugs were already there... Interesting. So I pulled the dash to get to the bottom of this. What I guess happened was they decided to replace the dash. So they took the old dash out, leaving in the dash harness that goes from fuse box to gauge cluster through dash and center console. The new dash they put in still had the exact same harness still attached. They just left it on and up it in right on top of the other exact same harness. Wow. Lol... So it had two of the same exact plugs of everything on the dash and they had some plugged in from the old harness and some from the new one. Lol

So this turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected but at least I got a good laught out of it. So I went ahead with swapping over the motor/tranny/driveshaft/lsd and everything went smooth. It started right up and wouldn't you know it another surprise the heater core was draining out right onto the driver side floor. Whatever, I didn't even care at this point and just bypassed it. I'm in Florida who needs heat anyways

Overall I'm happy it runs good has a new clutch and good lsd. I only have a few pics on this computer but will be updating more when I can

imageapd.jpg

imagesug.jpg

imageghw.jpg

imagelvr.jpg

imagecfht.jpg

imagexzf.jpg

Last edited: