Fuel tank baffle question (dual pump)

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Hey fellas, I searched for pictures on our fuel tank internals specifically the baffle where the pump sits and couldn't find clear pictures. If anyone has a extra fuel tank sitting around, a couple of pics would be appreciated. Basically I'm trying to figure out if our fuel tanks baffle allows for dual pumps to be mounted opposite the bracket as opposed to side by side like this mockup picture below. Long story short, I have a walbro 416 and an E85 AEM fuel pumps. I had the walbro first and know 2 of them will be a mission to fit side by side. I'm trying to work with what I have instead of selling/purchase a second AEM pump etc. they will be staged anyways and the second pump is mostly just for redundancy. Does the baffle allow for such configuration? Thanks

p2030171_1.jpg

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
You might not be able to fit both pumps through the tank like that, its a tight fit with the pumps side by side as it is. Otherwise, I think I have some pictures on my home computer, I'll check when I get home tonight.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
No way a pump is fitting on that brackets' backside lol darn it. Great pic. Thanks a lot. How important is that plastic baffle? If one is carefull with fuel level etc? Can it be removed? What's its real purpose on our car?

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
Its there to keep fuel around the pump under hard cornering/acceleration, so I wouldn't recommend removing it regardless of how full you kept your tank.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
I have two Aeromotives 340 stealth pumps on a modified stock hanger working parallel.
Tight fit, but it is the best way you can go as fuel feed for high HP. Those two pumps can feed a Supra engine
up to 1400 HP with the proper fuel lines, FPR, fuel rail and injectors. They are the most powerful intank fuel pumps in the market
today that we can fit (two of them), in our stock fuel pump hanger and inside the tank baffle, tight..but it will fit!

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Fitting dual pumps in the tank with the stock hanger isn't impossible, but you have to be very careful in how you attach them to the hanger and how you install the unit into the tank. I have dual Stealth 340's as well, both of which fit into the stock basket. To ensure proper fuel supply to the basket below 1/2 tank, I augered out the feed hole at the bottom of the basket to about 5/8".

Fitting them into there is a royal pain, and clocking them so the pickup socks don't get kinked is also difficult. This is what mine looked like before install:

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
Thanks for the picture toyotanos. I which we had more options when it come to fuel pump hangers. I'm not sure which pumps Beech's hanger can support. I'm even considering pulling the fuel tank, make the pump bracket hole larger and modify an MKIV aftermarket anger to fit. The MKIV hanger looks to be longer and mounts differently (no direct bolts like ours), can anyone confirm? I have all the resources at my disposal to make those types of modifications. But is it worth it? and would it work is the question. MTR had a nice billet option back in the walbro 255 days, but in limited production.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
If I were to go nuts, I'd go one of two directions.

1- Surge tank. Stock fuel pump in the tank, running at 0psi, feeding a surge tank. The pump has waaaay more than enough flow at 0psi to supply dual big pumps. The surge tank would feed my choice pressure pumps, whether they be in-tanks or externals. This is the more expensive option, and most complicated, but it's really not that bad if you have the space (spare tire well, anyone?) :p

2- Weld a camry fuel tank sender hole from a junkyard camry fuel tank to replace the Supra one. It's an oval and is about twice as big. Very custom and requires a good welder, but overall its very simple and can be easily serviced once the initial setup is done. You could probably slap a couple Walbro 400's on that sender and probably be able to make 'em fit in the stock basket.

There are a tom more options, but those are the two directions I'd go if I were to redo my fuel system.