Fuel pump relay making noise

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
So this is confusing and not a problem I expected to have. Today for the first time in 6 months I put the battery in the car. As soon as the connections were made, the fuel pump relay starting making a loud noise like it was vibrating. What could cause this?

In the past 6 months everything in the car has changed including MAFT-Pro, engine, wiring harness. I just need a place to start to look for errors. The wiring harness and MAFT-Pro were hooked up and running on a different car before being put into my car so I don't think there should be too many issues with it but I can't say for sure.

The car isn't ready to be started I just wanted to see if it would turn over and make oil pressure. Basically I am just trying to start trouble shooting for errors I made but this one confuses me.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

It will likely be useful to know that I have not done the 12V mod though I do intend to. I have also not yet changed the fuel pump to the walbro. It is still on the stock pump.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Just tried to go check but my multimeter is dead and I don't have any 9V batteries in the house. Were you thinking it might be cause by a low charge on the battery?

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Anybody else have any ideas? This is rather confusing. I was considering unplugging the relay since I don't want fuel anyways for turning it over. Still need to figure it out though.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Just to trouble shoot further. I went out and unplugged the pump relay. Then hooked up the battery leads and check the dash. I have the check engine and battery lights on at all times. Whether the key is in or not.

However, the car turns over fine. :) So there is a slight bit of good news.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Your going to need a meter for this.

You could unhook the relay and slap 12 volts to the coil and see if it still does it, if so get a new relay. If not, maybe a bad/loose conection somewhere, or like Dirgle said battery voltages is low.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Will definitely be getting a new battery for the meter tomorrow but by the way the lights lit up and how well it turned over I doubt its battery voltage related. I also doubt this is the relays problem. It worked perfect before the car was taken apart and now it doesn't. That added with the lights on the dash point to a wiring problem but I don't know where to start the search.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Sawbladz,
My Supra is having the same sumptoms; Fp relay chatter and dash lights: check engine, battery and Alt lights all light, without the key in the ignition. I only rebuilt my motor, nothing else was touched. Have you gotten it sorted out? Van

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
There is a capacitor in the circuit opening relay if it leaks or blows up just take the cover off it & replace that capacitor.

There is 2 coils in the relay one turn the fuel pump on only while cranking the car.
The other one is when the ECU turns on the fuel pump & keeps it on.