Fuel Pump Question

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Im about to upgrade my fuel pump and had a few questions. First which pump is better as an upgrade? The Walbro 255lph or the mk4 Denso 280lph? If i were to install the Mk4 pump, would I have to do the 12Volt upgrade as well like the Walbro?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
mk4 is better but its like 3-4x the price. mk4 is drop in but rewiring 20+ year old wiring never hurts.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I agree, the Mk IV pump is better. It also pulls more amps...I'd do the rewire.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Bosch is also an option. Do some research "search function" but most of the data here will yeild that the MKIV is the best quality.

^
X2 on the 12v rewire.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
To be clear; My research and decision to do 12v rewire because of amp draw is only concerning the MKIV pump.
I did not research the walbro in that respect.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
With a rewire (10ga optimal) there is less resistance and more output. More strands = better current. This will guarantee sufficient power supply to factory pump or aftermarket. When Fuel Pressure and load is put on the pump it needs more power, and if your wire can't supply the needed power it burns up. On a note if that pump draws 15 amps WOT and that 22ga wire can't supply it consistently , you've got problems.

Checkout this site for reference. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/fuelpumpflowrates.htm
As you will notice a rewire on a stock pump can prove to be helpful too.