Fuel pump heat.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
I drive an MA70 Turbo and I had a quick question. Does anyone else have a problem with their fuel pump overheating and losing pressure constantly? My stick replacement pump does this. I understand it is having a hard time keeping up with the fuel demands of the engine (which has been modified), but It isn't running any faster, or at a different pressure. I need to know how to solve this quick because I have to work over the week and it keeps sticking me on the side of the road. The engine doesn't overheat just the pump.

Of course it doesn't help that it averages like 85 down here. :nono:

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
I think it is the Denso pump and yes. I replaced the Pump, filter, had injectors clean, and cleaned the lines I could get to .

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have you checked for stored codes?

When it dies jump fp and b+ in the diag box and go listen for the pump to be running. IF it is its not your problem.

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
It does runs when it is supposed to and the codes I get are for TPS and Knock malfunction. The famous code 52. That is another story though. Throttle positioning seems to work fine and the knock sensors are rewired. The codes have been reset and are still consistant. Although neither of them has anything to do with the pump. (Please excuse scattered thoughts I have extreme ADD disorder.)

IRONMAN

Sep 7, 2012
Mobile
I temporarily put it on a switch to see the differences. I can go down a hill and switch it off, and when I cut it back on it builds pressure fine. and when it is could outside it runs better even thought the engine is at the same temperature. The fuel pump and running at full blast the whole time to keep up with the engine and the exhaust sits almost touching the tank and the guard isn't big enough to block the exhaust heat. If it were a leak or clog the pressure would show a difference faster but this only does it after a little bit of driving. Say 10 minutes? And then when it starts cutting out and losing pressure to where I can't even touch the gas pedal, I switch it off and give it a second while moving (the pump not the engine) and it would start going fine again. It's weird.