Fuel pump / Differential Question

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
Hey guys, long time viewer first time poster. I Just did a N/A to Turbo swap.(turbo engine/tranny in to a N/A car.) And I decide to keep the N/A diff with LSD. I still have the Turbo diff, perhaps ill swap it in one day. The car runs, but needs a complete exhaust, so I have not really driven her (only around my building). My question’s are:

1. Do I have to swap the fuel pump, or are the n/a / turbos the same?
2. Has any one used a N/A Diff on a Turbo, if so, how well did it work out? I know I will be compromising rps, and my top end wont do so well as a turbo diff, but the need to go top speed will not be in me for a while, so the faster take off is more appealing to me right now.

Thnx guys.

Oh , The swap was a success, a N/A is now a proud 7M-GTE.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
1. N/A and turbo share a fuel pump, but I'd suggest a brand new aftermarket replacement such as a Walbro anyway.

2. Yes. You run out of gear quicker but you run out of road quicker too. Personal preference, me I'd stick with a 3.91 as it seems a good compromise.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
im running the NA/5sp diff and while its fun around town, if you do a lot of highway driving your gas mileage will suffer. something to consider.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Bishop, how sure are you the pumps are the same? Prior to VIN -0153210 there are two different part numbers for the pumps. (GE 23220-70170, GTE 23221-50020) listed in the EPC.

For VIN 0153210- they all show the same part (23221-50020).

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
Thnx for the info guys. I know my gas is going to suck, and i will probably swap in the turbo diff eventually.

I am not sure if it matters in regards to the difference in vin # for the fuel pumps, but the turbo engine/tranny I swapped in is from a 1989+ Supra as is the N/A car is a 1989+ supra. So would this help or at least increase the chances of the fuel pups being the same since they are the same year cars? And a Walbro is definitely in the plans.

Thnx……………..

CzA

Jan 15, 2007
Toronto
I know it’s not 100 until the turbo differential is in there. But I considered the pro/cons and with the aid from

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/transmission.html

I was able to calculate the differences / acceleration / rpm’s with the R154 gear ratios with the N/A 4.3 diff, = a very nice / quick car. As of now, long distance driving is not in the picture, and me going 130+ MPH will be rare at best, so the light to light driving is a bit more appealing to me, for now. Stock for stock (car is not stock anyways) a turbo using a N/A diff off the line will beat a turbo with the turbo diff off the line, and that’s all I really need right now (not that I will be racing like that, but it appeals to me more in this point of time). Gas consumption is my biggest concern, but city driving is cool with me, and now that gas is going down (I got gas @ 69.5 cents per liter), I can live with it. Other than higher revs, and top end, is there anything else I compromise by using the N/A diff?

Thnx…………..

CassMori

Boost Addict
CzA said:
Thnx for the info guys. I know my gas is going to suck, and i will probably swap in the turbo diff eventually.

I am not sure if it matters in regards to the difference in vin # for the fuel pumps, but the turbo engine/tranny I swapped in is from a 1989+ Supra as is the N/A car is a 1989+ supra. So would this help or at least increase the chances of the fuel pups being the same since they are the same year cars? And a Walbro is definitely in the plans.

Thnx……………..

Gas consumption is not that bad - I get 20-21mpg normal driving, & ~24mpg on the highway. Definately get the Walbro in if you've got some mods - I blew a (fairly new) head gasket out from detonation, by not being able to flow enough fuel at the boost I was running.

CzA said:
.... Other than higher revs, and top end, is there anything else I compromise by using the N/A diff?

Thnx…………..

Boost will not come up as quick as it would w/ the taller gears. This is not a disadvantage imo, as it helps slightly w/ around-town mileage & driving (I can drive around town in 5th at 35-40 mph, w/out having to shift except for stoplights). I pulled out my 4.1 diff & reinstalled the 4.3 partially because of this - and there is a noticable difference even with that small of a gear change. Personally, I prefer the 4.3; sure, I top out around 140-145, but where I live, there's not many locations, or much opportunity to go even that fast, so having taller gears would be useless to me. Although, I do use the w58 still, so the acceleration characteristics may be different w/ the r154.

edit: btw, I currently drive ~60 miles round trip on weekdays, on the Interstate. Until I moved recently, I was driving ~75-80 miles round trip on weekdays, for the last two years. The low gears have never been a real problem on the highway, once you get used to the fact that the engine turns ~3500 rpm @ 75mph :)