Fuel pump circuit/ circuit opening relay problems randomly shuts off? HELP!

Boostedmkiii91

May 23, 2010
Wisconsin
ok so ive been searching everywere and cant find any similar problems to mine here. i have a 91 7mgte and after driving the car for anywere from 5min to an hr the ful pump will randomly shut off. upon trying to restart it when you let off the key after trying to crank it the circuit opening relay spazzes out and just clicks rappidly. im able to jump the test terminals and start the car. usully if i go to startit the next day it will fire right up. only reacent mods i have done are a walbro 255 pump but i had it in for a few months prior to this happening. most recent was recalibrating the tps. im wondering if it could be a tps fault seeing as how the relay cuts when no throttle signal is there at terminal (fn) accomponied with the afm no airflow. No fault cods pop up. i considered a relay but that relay is 70 buck kinda pricy just to throw parts. Please help.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Boostedmkiii91;1879493 said:
ok so ive been searching everywere and cant find any similar problems to mine here. i have a 91 7mgte and after driving the car for anywere from 5min to an hr the ful pump will randomly shut off. upon trying to restart it when you let off the key after trying to crank it the circuit opening relay spazzes out and just clicks rappidly. im able to jump the test terminals and start the car. usully if i go to startit the next day it will fire right up. only reacent mods i have done are a walbro 255 pump but i had it in for a few months prior to this happening. most recent was recalibrating the tps. im wondering if it could be a tps fault seeing as how the relay cuts when no throttle signal is there at terminal (fn) accomponied with the afm no airflow. No fault cods pop up. i considered a relay but that relay is 70 buck kinda pricy just to throw parts. Please help.

Okay, you did a walbro 255 swap. Double check this simply because if it's been a few months, sounds like something wiggled loose in regards to the connection to the ecu.

Boostedmkiii91

May 23, 2010
Wisconsin
Im not throwing parts at it thats exactly what i said. Were would i even begin to troubleshoot. the only thing that controls that relay is the ecu grounding it.

Boostedmkiii91

May 23, 2010
Wisconsin
both the connections on the fuel pump and near the ecu are tight and clean. also i noticed that the fuel pump main relay is extremly hot when ythis happeneds idk if that is normal bc of the current going through it. doent that circuit opening relay only supply the pump with 9 volts. is it possible the walbro is trying to pull to much thrugh the relay causing it to fail when it is hot? not sure were else to go just throwing out ideas haha

Boostedmkiii91

May 23, 2010
Wisconsin
Im actually faily good with electronic diag. only isuuse is it happens randomly there is no exact way to replicate it sometimes it will happen after 5 min sometimes it will run for hours wot or just cruising. ill look into how to test that relay.

Boostedmkiii91

May 23, 2010
Wisconsin
well arguements aside. i checked out the relay and it tested ok. the odd part is its such an intermittend problem its hard to track down the issue. when i went to test the relay the car started up and ran for about 5 min then shut off and the circuit opening relay we nuts again constantly swithing on and off. i did before and after reading on the relay only to get passing results both times. I voltage dropped the fuel pump control circuits with inconclusive results. as far as i can see there are no loose connection or shorted wires. one thing i did notice is when the circiut opening relay spazzes out all the dash lights go dim untill it stops clicking then everything goes back to normal. im kin of at a dead end with this and not sure exactly were to go. any advise would be greatly appreciated.