Fuel Pressure Regulator for 1jz?

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Does anyone know if any SR20 parts may crossover for a 1jz?
My buddy has an extra full FPR kit for his SR20 that he has no need for and would sell me for dirt cheap but I don't know if it will bolt up to my 1j. I imagine that there is an FPR kit designated just for the 1jz but would it be possible to use this one?

Any advice is appreciated, and I'll eventually get a FPR even if this one won't work.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If I understand them correctly, aftermarket FPR's are pretty universal, it is up to you to make them work. That said, Driftmotion has an Aeromotive setup for our cars, and if I remember correctly, it comes with a bracket to mount it too.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I will look into that then. I was told by the guy I bought my 1j from that it starts to run lean and hit an early rev limit at anything above 6psi...that seems lo but I am still learning about these motors.
I read elsewhere that a stock FPR is good for fueling until you get into higher hp situations. Ideally I would like to be able to turn up the boost for fun from time to time and run low psi for daily. I want bigger injectors and plumb in a wideband too at some point, as well as tuning etc. I am trying to do my homework before I start the whole process, any help is appreciated!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
ryan625;1878685 said:
I will look into that then.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-afprkit1jz.php
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-afprkit1jzwithoutregulator.php

The AFPR is universal what is not is the custom lines and mounting brackets

ryan625;1878685 said:
I was told by the guy I bought my 1j from that it starts to run lean and hit an early rev limit at anything above 6psi...that seems lo
How would he know the car is running Lean if there is no wideband?

Here's the deal your Stock ECU has something called Fuel Cut (This is what is happening) Its a fail safe device to save your engine from over boosting it usaully does not kick in till higher boost levels (15-17psi) Unless there is something wrong with the operating system I.E boost leaks or Faulty Map sensor Ect..

ryan625;1878685 said:
but I am still learning about these motors.
This is a smart decision to protect your investment

ryan625;1878685 said:
I read elsewhere that a stock FPR is good for fueling until you get into higher hp situations.
In my opinion the stock AFPR should be upgraded when a larger fuel pump is installed it helps with tuning

ryan625;1878685 said:
Ideally I would like to be able to turn up the boost for fun from time to time and run low psi for daily.
Just be sure you understand what your doing and don't turn up the boost without a wideband.

A wideband should be your first mod for your car

ryan625;1878685 said:
I want bigger injectors and plumb in a wideband too at some point, as well as tuning etc.

All fine and dandy as long as you know the rest of the car is in good shape first Pumps/Hoses/Vac lines/Sensors ect..

ryan625;1878685 said:
I am trying to do my homework before I start the whole process, any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
That is a nice dissection of my post...lol

A wideband/turbo timer is first on my list for sure. After that it will be on to dressing up the car, inside and out, and under the hood.
I figure if I clean everything up and learn as much as I can while doing so I can find any worn parts and avoid spending money on something that could have been avoided.
I appreciate all the feedback, this reminds me of when I was learning to build diesels! Its kinda fun...

Edit: here is what I have been thinking of ordering for a sideband since it doubles as a timer when you shut the car off.http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16314&cat=0&page=1

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you're having breakup problems over 6psi, I would suggest making sure your spark plugs are still somewhat clean and are gapped around .028 each. Never trust a 'pre-gapped' plug. ;)