Fuel Leak

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
So I've been getting terrible gas mileage and I smell gasoline when i get out of the car. I look under the hood and I believe i found whats leaking, but I have no idea what it is. It's not a line, its some plastic....thing? I looked through the TSRM to no avail. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it is, and where to get a new one. Haha, Here's a picture. Sorry about the poor quality, All I have is my cell phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

sorry for the duplicate. my computer froze while posting.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
its your fuel dampener

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

some people just eliminate it when they get an afpr and a better fuel pump

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
Thank you. Yeah, I want to do all that, but for right now I'll check and see where to find a new/replacement one. Thanks again.

gotsomegetsome

Age Quod Agis
Mar 31, 2008
san jose
get the dampener bypass hose from driftmotion, its a great little upgrade and its super easy to take off when you need to do stuff with the rail

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
I'll look into that too. Thats lookin like it might be cheaper than getting a new dampener. Would it be detrimental to remove the dampener on a completely stock fuel system?

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
So toyota told me $144. Since I plan to upgrade my fuel pump, etc, when i get paid I think I'm going to go with the bypass. Thanks guys.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Is your fuel damper cracked. More then likely it is your crush washer that is not sealing or if someone has had it off and not put one back. You can get them at any automotive shop. They are just copper crush washers. Just get the right size. If you want to you can try tighting the damper up some if it has one on it. It takes a wrench and they have to be pretty tight.

geeohdee

Feb 28, 2010
las vegas
Well it's leaking out of the top but the phillips head screw, and out of the middle. i tried to tighten the screw on top a little and that leak stopped but it still leaks around the middle.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
It has been awhile since I took mine off but what I can remember is that the fuel line is a union bolt fitting type and the fuel damper slide threw the union bolt fitting. I believe that you supposed to have a crush washer on both sides of the union bolt fitting. You probably having problems out of the crush washer on top of the union bolt fitting. So you should have two crush washers. Has anyone ever took it off. If you have bigger injectors in your car someone had to take it off.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I don't see how removing it is an upgrade. If its to the point where its impeding flow, then yes. Otherwise it acts as a small accumulator which is a good thing to help keep the pressure steady.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
dumbo;1532392 said:
I don't see how removing it is an upgrade. If its to the point where its impeding flow, then yes. Otherwise it acts as a small accumulator which is a good thing to help keep the pressure steady.

Yes that is what I read. It helps steady the flow so each injector gets the same amount of fuel. You said it was leaking from the screw on the top of the damper, my damper dont have no screw in the top of it. Do not know what the screw would be for.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Alright sounds good. I have the safc II but I need to get the j tube bypass afpr and I believe I will be in there to fine tune. I had no clue about the damper screw until it got mentioned but I do now. I called driftmotion about the zt2 -zr2 combo. I am thinking real hard about ordering one.