fuel and vacuum troubleshoot

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
3p141592654;1971023 said:
It is possible for the injector top of cylinder #6 to hit the pulsation damper threads protruding inside the rail as the two are aligned top of each other inside the rail. This can form a nice blockage. As said above, the injector grommets set the depth of the injector in the rail along with the three rail plastic isolators under the mount bolts. Check it all carefully. Your problem is not electrical.

I will check into that 3P. I will tear down the rail and see what I can find, will also be replacing the fuel filter, which from NAPA is $18 and Toyota is $41 (wonder if the toyota one will be much better quality?) . I think you're right about it not being electrical, and that would be just fine with me lol. I tried unpugging the resistors to see if it made a difference and it didnt. Also the PO had a 15a fuse in the IGN spot. I replaced it 7.5 like it should be (not sure what that could have done but the fuel pump relay was getting really hot before)..

Also, i have a very small bubling leak out of my earl's fitting (the part that connects to the braided SS hose) It's on the return hose that goes from the factory fpr spot to the aftermarket AFPR. could that kill my flow pressure bad enough to not let me run right? It barely leaks any fuel.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Progress update:

The issue i was having with the IGN fuse was the same issue i had before and just forgot about it. I am missing one piece of the (metal female connector?) i guess you would call it in IGN location the fusebox on the driver side kick panel, so I have to bend the fuse a little to get good contact. Funny thing is i have 2 fuse boxes for down there and they both have the same piece missing. Solved that, cleared my codes again... I also fixed my afpr line.

I just tightly duct taped the part on the BSS hose where i wanted to cut off to prevent the stainless from fraying at the end, cut it with a small rotary cutter, then carefully took the tape off, removed a couple shards with cutters and jammed the old fitting on the end of the newly cut hose. They reccomend putting a lube inside the fitting before you jam it all the way up where it seats before the threads (i just used some engine oil)...and now no more leaks so I have ruled that out.

Next thing i did was replace the fuel filter (i couldnt blow through it at times and at other times i could so it was a restriction at times) and inspect my lines. Lines are all good and filter is now new. With the new filter i get really good pressure now even with the car running, however any time i press the throttle fuel pressure decreases and the car bogs, it will slowly build back up and the idle will smooth out again. I think I can rule out the injectors because all my injectors passed visual, touch, and the resistance test. I believe an obstruction in the rail is highly unlikely because i get great pressure through the entire rail now.

No codes now even after car had idled for awhile a few times...This HAS to be either the pump (a brand new Wally from Ebay, which i have recently found out could be an issue lol) OR the aeromotive regulator i bought used of this forum is not functioning properly. My question is how do i test the afpr? It holds pressure, unless there is fuel demand, and when i take the vacuum hose away (which has vac) it does little to nothing. I want to try and go back to my known good stock fuel pump and my stock fpr and see what happens, but if i could rule the afpr out as being in working order it would save me some time...Thanks all!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Idle is dropping because of low fuel pressure..i can hold fuel pressure at wherever i want all day long with it idling...as soon as i give it throttle bye bye fuel pressure...gotta be pump or fpr at this point..I'll update on Sunday.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
It might be the other way around for example not saying this is the case but If you touch the throttle and say for instance your tps is bad/wrong year/out of spec so it drops the idle/wants to die it will lose vacuum won't you see your fp drop?? Or do I have the idea backwards in my head??

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Pressure goes up as you lose vacuum.

This thread is frustrating. I mean based on the posted data the rail was clearly clogged. Next post the fuel filter is replaced and the rail clog vanishes. Umm, how is that possible?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
3p141592654;1971551 said:
This thread is frustrating. I mean based on the posted data the rail was clearly clogged. Next post the fuel filter is replaced and the rail clog vanishes. Umm, how is that possible?

Sorry about that...I was going to take everything off and inspect the rail like implied, but after i fixed my afpr line and checked for pressure again i had great pressure all the way through the rail, only with the FP jumped and idling of course (not when there is fuel demand). Which led me to believe it was either a fuel filter, pump or fpr problem. I chose to eliminate those possibilities first simply because they are a bit easier and i was pressed for time. I will absolutely move on to the rail if symptoms suggest that over the other things to you?

I'm not sure why i wasnt getting much before, but when i blew through my old filter sometimes it would be clogged, but if i shook it sometimes i could blow through it, maybe that had something to do with it...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Now when you said you had fuel, do you mean like a foot stream out of whatever you disconnected? And then zero at the AFPR? Or a dribble out of whatever you disconnected and zero at the rail?

And this was when we thought you had a clog in the rail..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Alls I did is I backed off the threads of the fuel dampner a few turns and started the car it sprayed with a bunch of pressure...then shut her down, tightened that up and moved on to the CSI got great pressure there too, then unhooked the like from the afpr and held it over a bucket and it just dribbled out.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Muahahahahaa......well, I dropped the tank, and tried my old stock pump, no change. Went back to my wally. Noticed that where the fuel line coming from the pump bends up to the banjo for the filter it was crushed. Cut it, flared both ends and uses some high pressure fuel line to fix that....still no dice...wth

Tore off my entire rail. Injectors were all good and seated flush with the bottom of rail so couldnt be hitting the csi or fuel pulsation dampner bolts. And checked for clogs in the rail (no way that thing could clog its like nickel sized through there Lol). At this point I was frustrated as hell BC I couldn't find anything..sat down and ate some lunch and I happened to have my fuel dampner in my hand and it hit me!!! There is no hole in the fpd bolt like the CSI one..so saw how the fuel comes out of the banjo fitting and flows upward through the top of the fpd and back down through the inside of the bolt to the rail..

Turns out I used too small of a copper washer on the top of the banjo and it was a huge restriction...changed it out for the right size and I now have a nice running 7m. Now on to other little things....thank you all very much who tried helping with my bad information!