froubaby's 7mgte rebuild

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
My car fell victim to good ol' rod knock and while I was going to swap to a 1J, an opportunity came up to get another 7M engine so I'm giving it a try. This will not be a quick build as I'm looking to take my time and make sure I do things right. It's not my DD so if I need more time to save the cash for a better part, I will.

The patient:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?87707-Did-a-photoshoot-with-the-car-today.

Timeline:
  • May 2007 - Bought the car
  • Jan 2010 - Car down (rod knock - too bad to drive)
  • Oct 2010 - Picked up another 7M to work on
  • Feb 2011 - Tear down, cleaning, and inspection of parts begins

Last edited:

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
Oct 2010 - Picking up the 7M to rebuild.
This was fun trying to load it into my tC.

supra-rebuild-000001.jpg

supra-rebuild-000002.jpg

supra-rebuild-000003.jpg

supra-rebuild-000004.jpg

supra-rebuild-000005.jpg

supra-rebuild-000006.jpg

supra-rebuild-000007.jpg

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
Oct 2010 - Unloading the 7M.
This was much easier than getting it in the tC. haha!

supra-rebuild-000009.jpg

supra-rebuild-000010.jpg

supra-rebuild-000011.jpg

While I was at it I took apart the driver door to look into a window alignment problem. Turns out it was missing a stopper!

supra-rebuild-000008.jpg

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
Feb 2011 - Day of cleaning parts & repairing panels!

Time to find out if the boyfriend's part washer still works. It did!
supra-rebuild-000027.jpg

supra-rebuild-000028.jpg

supra-rebuild-000029.jpg

supra-rebuild-000030.jpg

Picked up this center panel from the junk yard and had to JB Weld a crack. It will do for now till I can find a replacement in good condition.
supra-rebuild-000031.jpg

This panel also had a massive crack from when I bought the car. I fixed that as well, but am looking for a replacement in good condition.
supra-rebuild-000032.jpg

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
Quick update:

• Spare block and both heads are about ready to take to the machine shop.
  • List of parts is almost done (minus items I need info from the shop to know what I need).
  • Full JDM Recaro interior is on it's way (VERY excited!)
  • More cleaning of parts is taking place. (ugh!)

camdiddy

Nov 18, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Looks great man. I'm looking into doing this same project myself and had a quick question for you...how extensive of a machining job are you having done and how much do you expect it to cost you?...If you don't mind me asking.

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
camdiddy;1681810 said:
Looks great man. I'm looking into doing this same project myself and had a quick question for you...how extensive of a machining job are you having done and how much do you expect it to cost you?...If you don't mind me asking.

Hey, change that "man" to "woman". lol :)

I am honestly not sure yet what I am going to have the machine shop do. To start off they'll be cleaning and measuring everything so that I can determine what TO do. Between the engine that was in my car and the spare I picked up, I am limited to the block from the spare (my car had rod knock so I don't care to attempt using that block). The head from the engine in my car had work done on it from the previous owner and the spare head does not so that's something I need to factor in after the machine shop goes over it all. So until all of that is done, I don't know really how much I'll spend at the machine shop since I don't know yet what I'll be doing there. I've read on here from other members though that you can expect to spend roughly 1k if you're getting "the works".

froubaby

MyMKIIIsupra.com
Apr 30, 2007
South Florida
www.mymkiiisupra.com
TweeT91109;1684212 said:
Dam I want that interior. :(
It's pretty sweet if I can say so. :)

Smartparts;1684220 said:
very cool interior. Where did you find it?
Thanks! Found it at a Japanese Import company up in Canada. There's a ton if you look online. Then go crazy contacting them all to see if anyone has anything coming in soon.

lppro;1684222 said:
looks good liz! hopefully i can get down there and help yall out with the build some time soon.. call me any time if you got anymore questions!
Thanks Luke! You know I won't hesitate to call. :) Oh, we ended up deciding to take the block/heads to a place called John's Cages. Not only do they do machine work, but they build engines too so I feel more comfortable with that. They also did the work on a few friend's race mustangs and I know those cars and what they've held up to. I was talking to Erica yesterday and forgot to ask her who Jerry uses.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Nice work. I'll be watching your thread. I thought I was crazy for putting my engine in a Mazda 5. You're brave for using your tC! :D

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
God bless chicks with dirty fingernails.

Nice friggin work. My jaw dropped when I saw a 7M successfully loaded into the back of a Scion. Kudos.

SG in NE